An Apology To Everyone 30 Or Younger

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 09:31 am
There was a time when America was by and large a happy place (for white people anyway) where the mood was one of security and a sense that anything could be accomplished... when "made in America" meant quality around the world and where children could leave the house in the morning and hang out with their friends outdoors all day, get a drink from the outside waterhose and no one was worried about being incinerated or infected by biological weapons.

Sorry you missed it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,997 • Replies: 47
No top replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 09:32 am
Re: An Apology To Everyone 30 Or Younger
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
There was a time when America was by and large a happy place (for white people anyway) where the mood was one of security and a sense that anything could be accomplished... when "made in America" meant quality around the world and where children could leave the house in the morning and hang out with their friends outdoors all day, get a drink from the outside waterhose and no one was worried about being incinerated or infected by biological weapons.

Sorry you missed it.

BVT forgot to add.....

AND IT"S ALL BUSH"S FAULT!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 09:35 am
Awww...

I know what you mean, bvt.

I was just thinking about this, though -- when I was a kid, I was worried that the Russians would blow us up. (Remember Sting singing "I hope the Russians love their children too...")

That was in the 70's/ 80's, but there were the 50's kids huddled under their desks, and on and on.

There has always been a boogieman, and I think governments depend on boogiemen to make their jobs easier. One thing I respected about Clinton, as that was one remarkably boogieman-free era.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 09:35 am
ah yes bear the olden days were glorious (bull ****) you been looking at Norman Rockwell paintings again?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 09:36 am
woiyo wrote:

Sorry you missed it.

BVT forgot to add.....

AND IT"S ALL BUSH"S FAULT!

and I forgot to add when old coots were gentle and kind, full of wondrous stories and marvelous anecdotes and not just a bunch of churlish old surpusses with nasty dispositions. :wink:
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 09:37 am
dyslexia wrote:
ah yes bear the olden days were glorious (bull ****) you been looking at Norman Rockwell paintings again?

actually the shame is that the golden good old days weren't that great either, but they were glorious times compared to now.

Except of course for modern dentistry. Gotta love that nitrous. :wink:
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 09:38 am
I am so not churlish!
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 09:42 am
dys, I never meant to indicate you in my scathing liberal left wing dope smoking hippie pronouncement. I apologize for the mix up. I shall have myself flogged immediately. I have her number in my speed dial.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 09:49 am
sozobe wrote:
There has always been a boogieman, and I think governments depend on boogiemen to make their jobs easier.

Oh, how I agree. When I was little, it was Hitler, then it was the Communists, and McCarthyism. (I remember huddling under my school desks. A lotta good it would have done! Sad ) You had Korea, and then the debacle that was Vietnam. Looking back, it was probably during the Reagan years that the boogieman was best held at bay.

Soz- I think that you are partially right about Clinton. The threat was there, (remember the first WTC bombing in 1992?)
but Clinton turned the country's interest towards his sexual peccadillos, so that we did not focus on the real threats that were developing.

Bush has elevated the boogieman to a high art form. Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 09:51 am
sozobe wrote:
Awww...

I know what you mean, bvt.

I was just thinking about this, though -- when I was a kid, I was worried that the Russians would blow us up. (Remember Sting singing "I hope the Russians love their children too...")

That was in the 70's/ 80's, but there were the 50's kids huddled under their desks, and on and on.

There has always been a boogieman, and I think governments depend on boogiemen to make their jobs easier. One thing I respected about Clinton, as that was one remarkably boogieman-free era.

yes, but Monica was hiding under Bill's desk none the less. Let's not forget that. :wink:
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 10:05 am
Heh.

Reagan years were high Russian paranoia -- that's what I was talking about, what I remember from when I was a kid.

Doesn't this seem quaint? (1985)

Quote:
In Europe and America
There's a growing feeling of hysteria
Conditioned to respond to all the threats
In the rhetorical speeches of the Soviets

Mr. Krushchev said we will bury you
I don't subscribe to this point of view
It would be such an ignorant thing to do
If the Russians love their children too

How can I save my little boy
From Oppenheimer's deadly toy
There is no monopoly of common sense
On either side of the political fence

We share the same biology
Regardless of ideology
Believe me when I say to you
I hope the Russians love their children too

There is no historical precedent
To put words in the mouth of the President
There's no such thing as a winnable war
It's a lie we don't believe anymore

Mr. Reagan says we will protect you
I don't subscribe to this point of view
Believe me when I say to you
I hope the Russians love their children too
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 10:06 am
Apology accepted, bear. Razz
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 10:19 am
Reagan Years "Tear Down That Wall"

Clinton Years "Take Down Those Panties"

Bush Years " Cover That Statue"
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 10:26 am
The Russians. The bad guys in every 80's movie. America collectively cheered when Rocky kicked the Russian's ass.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 10:28 am
Soz- I was there when Krushchev came to New York. It was when he went to the UN, and banged his shoe on the table. I was working on 34th Street near 5th Avenue. He was set to arrive at noon, just when workers were coming out of their offices for lunch. The streets were very crowded.
As the motorcade went by, there was absolute, dead silence. You could have heard a pin drop. It was 1960.
0 Replies

CrazyDiamond

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 11:09 am
WHAT? I missed it?!?

Damn! Oh well, we'll still have a good time as we slide down the shitter...
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 11:11 am
I intend to leave as big a skid mark as possible....
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 11:17 am
I'm of the "duck 'n cover" cohort. Gov. Rockefeller encouraged people to build bomb shelters in their backyards, though I don't know anyone who did.

I don't recall being acutely terrified by the prospect of nuclear incineration all the time, but sometimes, sure.
0 Replies

Cliff Hanger

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 11:20 am

Sorry you missed it.

They haven't missed it-- those under 30. Perhaps their sense of security has shifted, but young ones still believe they can accomplish anything. And, they still get drunk and hang out with their friends. You're just old now and can't do it anymore, you're feeling sorry for yourself, not the youngin's.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 11:22 am
Cliff Hanger wrote:

Sorry you missed it.

They haven't missed it-- those under 30. Perhaps their sense of security has shifted, but young ones still believe they can accomplish anything. And, they still get drunk and hang out with their friends. You're just old now and can't do it anymore, you're feeling sorry for yourself, not the youngin's.

man are you off base. Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » An Apology To Everyone 30 Or Younger
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/27/2024 at 07:25:40