Illicit Arms Kept 'Til Eve of War, Iraqi Scientist Asserts

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2003 11:31 am
This was on the front page of the New York Times this morning:

Quote:

Interesting turn of events. What do you all think?

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/04/21/international/worldspecial/21CHEM.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,423 • Replies: 36
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2003 12:59 pm
I find this very interesting. This article was published in the New York Times. It is very possible that the scientist who is providing the information, may be leading the U.S. to what may very well be the "smoking gun". Yet, this thread seems to have stirred no interest. Cat got your tongue?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2003 01:05 pm
It is interesting, can't wait to see what pans out.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2003 01:33 pm
It does sound promising.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2003 01:44 pm
Now, when Saddam's regime exists no more, presence or absence of WMDs is not so much important. Saddam will be unable to use these by all means. It is quite possible that Iraqi WMDs are being kept in Syria right now. maybe, they were transferred there by the arrival of the inspectors. Ignorabimus...
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2003 01:54 pm
steissd- Maybe Saddam has been rendered impotent in Iraq, but my concern is how much of his "handiwork" fell into the hands of Al Queda.

I am also pissed off that while th U.N. was debating incessently, the Iraqis were either moving or destroying the "evidence". I too think that I will wait and see what develops!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2003 01:59 pm
I doubt very much that any one scientist working under Saddam was prevy to the full picture of their WMD program. I think we need to wait until more scientists and engineers come forward with specific information about what they also did during the past two-three months. c.i.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2003 02:09 pm
c.i.- I heard a commentator say that this scientist was privy only to a small part of the chemical warfare program. But I think that he is a good lead!
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2003 02:20 pm
I do not think that it will get into hands of Al-Qaeda; it is more likely that it has already fallen into the hands of the Syrian regime.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2003 03:29 pm
We will just have to wait and see what develops.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2003 03:52 pm
Following...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2003 04:15 pm
bookmark
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2003 04:20 pm
Does anyone know how much in way of financial incentive America is giving to the scientists?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2003 04:27 pm
Craven

Quote:
Does anyone know how much in way of financial incentive America is giving to the scientists?

Don't beat around the bush. Say it right out.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2003 04:33 pm
au,

I have not made this assumption, I also do not hold the suspicion that you are implying (reasonably).

If the scientist was paid it's a possibility, if he was not then it is not a possibility.

The story is young, it can go many ways from here. Whenever money is offered some say what they know you want to hear. There is no data to suggest that this is the case and my inquiry is to inform myself about the facts.

This is why I have a distaste for nationalistic paranoia.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2003 04:52 pm
Craven- Don't know, but I would guess that the U.S. is playing "Let's Make a Deal" with the captured members of Saddam's administration. Unless there was something in it for the captives, there would be no reason to talk, if torture is not involved.

Whether it's money, a plea bargain, or immunity from prosecution, I could not even speculate. I think that the government needs to weigh how valuable the information would be to the US, before there is some decision made as to what to offer the captives.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2003 05:01 pm
I know that the US is offering money, I am curious about the amounts.

I think Tommy can approve $5,000-10,000 by himself and am pretty sure that Rumsfield can approve up to $100,000.

I'm curious as to what category this scientist falls under.
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2003 06:50 pm
Craven makes a valid point... shills do demand payment.

And let's admit it... prostitutes will say whatever you pay them to say. Hearsay is merely that until it helps to provide CONCRETE proof... in the case of Iraqui WMDs, identifyable residue is a must.

If the WMDs were in amounts adequate to pose a valid threat, they cannot have been destroyed without any corresponding residue.

Asking America to believe a story without corroboration is beyond arrogant... it's a flagrant slap at the intelligence of the citizenry.
(Not that we haven't been slapped in the past...)
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2003 06:56 pm
I'm not making the case for this evidence being false and subject to the indivisual's greed. I am only muddying the waters, I have no supporting data and do not expect it. But the basic intent is what you mentioned. Question everything.

Thing is, the destruction of the WMDs is something hard to prove. This is a situation that is tricky for both sides.

Destruction immediately prior to the war would be used as justification for the war. At the same time that theory is one of the simplest to fake.

I think this one will go both ways, some will believe it's justification, others will believe it's propaganda.

I believe that it's probably true (time frame might be a bit flexible) but do not consider it justification any more than finding incriminating evidence after the fact justifies an execution justifies taking leave of due course.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2003 08:15 pm
It seems to me that Saddam gambled on the timing and lost big time. c.i.
0 Replies