Summer Reading?

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2003 08:56 am
Welcome, justabrat! Thanks for joining this thread...
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2003 08:45 am
D'A - I was surprised to read a review of Dark Star Safari in a borrowed magazine yesterday (Outside, April 2003). It ended with the quote "Only Africans were capable of making a difference in Africa," which I'm sure I read months ago, maybe in an interview. Anyway, it DOES look like a good summer book.

Of course, then I went to Amazon to see about purchasing. Amazon mentions some other books about Africa including one by Doris Lessing, The Sweetest Dream, and one by Bill Bryson, African Diary. Maybe this is the year for an African summer?

Have a good trip to Tulsa -- not the FIRST spot I'd think of for a summer vacation but apparently it has three world-class museums, one on Western Art, one on Jewish Art, and the Philbrook, dedicated to Art History and housed in a beautiful building and beautiful area. Suddenly Tulsa sounds much more interesting.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2003 09:16 am
Thanks, Piffka. This trip to Tulsa is for family reasons--I assure you it wouldn't be my idea for a late-spring destination! I've heard good things about some of the museums, and I definitely want to check out the Western Art Museum.

Re Theroux: I attended his reading/lecture in town recently, and he did comment that he thinks western aid programs don't really help Africans. Sounds like what you read in the magazine.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2003 10:51 am
I know people mean novels mostly when they say "summer reading," but I find I read a lot of non-fiction. One that I will buy immediately (like, I need another book...!) is by Elaine Pagels, Religion professor at Princeton. She wrote a wonderful book (is an authority on) the Gnostic gospels a few years ago. Interesting, well written, etc. Now she's written a follow-up. I heard her interviewed just now on NPR's Fresh Air (npr.org, interview available later online) and the new book sounds terrific. For those interested, I recommend her work.

The Philbrook. A few years ago, coming back from the East, I detoured to Tulsa to go to the Philbrook. Forgot they were closed on Mondays. Duh. Walked the grounds, though. Very nice indeed. I like Tulsa. Same kind of humor and quirkiness one finds in Austin TX seems to inhabit Tulsa.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2003 11:07 am
I remember thinking that Pagels' book of the Gnostic gospels sounded interesting, Tartarin. Coincidentally (sort of), I just placed a library reserve on a new book "Hellfire Nation: The Politics of Sin in American History" by James A. Morone. A timely topic, no?

Well, if Tulsa is anywhere near as quirky as Austin is reputed to be, I may have a better time there than I was expecting. I hope I can drag my sister to Philbrook, but we may have to split the difference and go to the western museum. That would be OK, though they have a Remington show now, and he's not my fave...
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2003 11:16 am
If I can find it (biggish if) I could lend you my copy of Gnostic Gospels, D'art...

Please report on Tulsa when you get back.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2003 11:26 am
Thanks, Tartarin, for the offer of a loan! I'll be happy to report back from Tulsa...
0 Replies

durriken

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 04:56 pm
I take it Summer Reading refers to Easy,Enjoyable Reading?

If so, try Marcel Pagnol's "Marius", "Fanny", and "Cesar".

Also, Oscar Wilde's "The Importance of Being Earnest".

Enjoy!
0 Replies