How competitive are you?

Chai

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 08:26 am
Lord E. brilliant piece on MC Sorry Tennis got me reminiscing about the days when I was less fussy on who I felt I had to impress.

In it, he mentions the loping of balls over the net, trying to aim it to an area where the other player could easily return it, call out "sorry" when a particularly bad or good play was made.

Now that sound like my type of tennis. That is if I could ever get the ball over the net.

I can still remember the day in the school yard when our classes natural born leader of the girls announced we would no longer be playing dodgeball or jump ropes and instead would all be playing handball every day for the rest of the semester.

It was the day I fell into the Slough of Despond.

Evidently, every other girl innately knew the rules of handball. All I knew was it involved running about and catching a ball and throwing it somewhere. I never could figure out where it was supposed to be thrown, but apparently since every time I threw it I heard "Cripes Chai!", it must have been in the wrong direction. I was always the last picked by default, and assigned to whatever part of the field where I could do the least amount of damage. I stood out there praying to the Virgin Mary not to let the ball come my way.

Basketball was even worse. At least in handball there were long moments when not much was happening in my immediate vicinity, so I could think about how Smokey the Cowpony was going to get out of his predicerment in chapter 8. To this day, all I can figure out is that you keep lumbering from one end of the gym to the other, and back again, trying to keep out of the way of anyone who looks like they might want to throw you the ball. "Cripes Chai"

Through this all, I was always wondering, Why?
It really didn't matter to me who won.
"You want to win? Okay, here, you win"

Yay, you win.

I can understand being competitive to a certain degree. It's not like a big mystery.

To me, my goal is to be anonymous within the bulk of whatevers going on when it comes to any competitive situation. I don't care about being the best, or even in the top 10. I know my own worth.
But I sure don't want to be last and hear "Cripes Chai"

I'm curious as to who is and who isn't.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,289 • Replies: 33
No top replies

material girl

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 08:40 am
Im not.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 08:48 am
I am clueless about sports, they just don't interest me. I have always had poor eyesight and could never see a ball that was smaller than a hot air balloon, so I never tried out for anything. I was lucky in that I went to an academic high school, sports were just a footnote. We once had to forfeit a football game because the quarter back broke his glasses and he didn't have another pair with him.

I like to be active, but I want to produce something like a sculpture or a garden for my effort. I would rather trim a hedge than swing a racket or club.

I worked in high tech sales for years and part of the reason I left was because I could not stand how crazy people got over rankings. I just didn't want to be last. I made good money, but never had that constant urge to keep score with it.

I do get a little joy jump from seeing various beautiful friends of mine getting a little chubby or a new wrinkle, but then I look in the mirror and realize I'm not any better off. I guess I'm not very competitive.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 09:09 am
I was always very much into football. The type that is played with the feet, that is......as in FOOT ball.
Being a left footer, I was somewhat a rarity, and so I suppose it was easier for me to get into the school team. I like to think that I was as good as anyone else in the team, and whatever position I found myself, down the left side of the pitch, I always got stuck in.
Our games master was an ex-professional footballer (Coventry City, who were in the top Division at that time) and his favourite position was down the right wing......i.e. coming down my side of the pitch when they attacked.
I used to take great delight in executing a perfect slide tackle on him at least once during the game, sending him skidding face first along the muddy pitch.
My crowning glory came when I was in the attacking line and running towards their goal, whilst simultaneously looking behind me to judge the approaching ball as it whizzed through the air.
Running at full speed, I turned to face their goal once again and saw their right hand goalpost about six inches from my face.
I awoke to find a group had formed around me and the aforementioned games master slapping the side of my face, in order to bring me back to life.
Getting up, I realised that there was some suffering hero street cred to be had out of all this, and did my best walking wounded limp towards the touchline. This potential moment of glory was soon shattered, when the games master walked past, and in a voice that was just about loud enough to be heard by my mates, said "F*cking idiot".
They all burst out laughing, and I had to suffer the whole story being repeated to the girls in our class, on at least three occasions.

As far as competetive spirit goes, I always put in maximum effort when I am up against my son in any sort of game, mental or physical.
The stag syndrome, I suppose.

It was alright when he was smaller and weaker than me, because I could easily semi drown him in the pool in order to win the race, or easily overcome him in judo or karate. Now he is quite proficient in the above sports, about four inches taller than me, with a lean, wiry strength that only the young possess, I opt for board games or "who can eat these eggs the fastest" type competitions.

We both know, however, that I can still beat him.

Or is he just humouring me?

Bahstid!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 09:23 am
not the least bit
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 09:25 am
I am not into sports, and have never been especially competitive in most areas of my life.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 09:38 am
Like Green Witch my vision precluded most sports but I did develop a wicked unreturnable volley ball serve and I was begged to be on the team.

I thought being on a team would seriously cut into my pot smoking time so I refused.

In non-sporting areas of my life I can be a bit competitive but as I am not much of a joiner nobody really knows it but me.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 09:48 am
I've never been into sports...rather a classic indoor type, I'm afraid.

But in other areas of my life, I can be very competitive. And am. (Good thing for my clients!)
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 10:03 am
boomerang wrote:
being on a team would seriously cut into my pot smoking time.

Laughing

I smell signature line!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 10:40 am
I'm not one to blow my own horn I guess.

For instance, I can say it here without it effecting anything.....I am a lot more knowledgable about certain skills relating to the job than some (then again, they have their fortes) but I'm not one to exhibit it unnecessarily. That's because sure as God made little green apples, the day I try to show someone whose better at whatever is going to be the day I mess up big time.

However.......At one point, someone who, no disrespect doesn't have nearly the skill set I have, made a bad error in judgement.

This person, who in the past in large meetings had no problems in overstating his/her accomplishments going by the premise of "well I'm talking loudest so I must be right" more than went over the line.

In front of God and everybody, he/she stood up to give a presentation and on the screen came up a project that I had been working on more than 2 years before.

It was the EXACT same thing, absolutely no changes had been made. It even contain the elements/formulas that I had long long eliminated or changed in order to run it more efficiently.

See, it's really hard to keep up with lies. I had no problem with asking, "where did you get that from?" right then and there. Yes, I supposed I could have had a discussion privately later, but it this case that wouldn't fly because... he/she was being unnecessarily competitive, trying to pass off someone elses work as their own, in order to look like the golden child.

So as far as relating that to competition, I'm not going to be the one to bring it up, but I will protect my self interests.
0 Replies

welshbabe

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 12:19 pm
Iam not at all
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 12:20 pm
Same with me. Not into sports, and never have been competitive in other areas of my life........with the exception of chess.

I've been playing chess on an ongoing basis on the internet since 1999. I'm not that great at it, but I enjoy it.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 12:23 pm
I'm not competitive. I enjoy Scrabble, but I'd rather have an artistic board with unusual words than the winning score.

Blocking my opponent's possible plays makes no sense to me.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 12:27 pm
I'm competitive.

It was much more pronounced at one point in my life (high school), and now I'm a lot more likely to pick my battles. But I am competitive.

I was sheepish about it for a while and then decided that if it's not overdone it can be valuable, especially when used to benefit other people, as Eva mentions. When I ran my agency, I was quite competitive when it came to getting the attention of employers, etc. It worked, and to the benefit of my clients.

I think it's one of those typically "male" traits that it doesn't necessarily serve women well to give up. It's seen as not quite nice, or whatever.

One reason I loved playing pick-up basketball with men is I could just out and be competitive without getting grief about it -- they respected it.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 04:29 pm
sozobe wrote:
I think it's one of those typically "male" traits that it doesn't necessarily serve women well to give up. It's seen as not quite nice, or whatever.

Only by other women, Soz! I've never had a problem being competitive around men.

Around women, though...ooh...you have to be really careful.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 04:36 pm
I have a competitive streak. Oh yeah.

At work, I have no taste for competing.

Sports and physicality is my outlet. There is nothing better than beating someone who is at the top of their game Twisted Evil and whom is respected. It's a rush...better than drugs. It's good to know and see your hard work creating an advantage.

I've let competition cloud my thinking and actions at times. When that competitive drive goes into gear in the relationship domain; it can cause trouble. It is true that it generally looked upon less favorably in a woman.

Women warriors. I like them. I have always admired the competitive drive trained well in other females. It may have something to do with growing up with a lot of guys.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 04:41 pm
I am not competitive at all - in sports I didn't care and
in business I have other strategies.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 07:05 pm
Totally not competitive... couldnt care less, really.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 07:17 pm
I pick my battles.

I let lotsa lotsa stuff roll over and by me.

but then there's golf

and I can be fierce.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 07:25 pm
oh competitive? me ? na.....

if I get a hint of a competitive situation it could get ugly
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » How competitive are you?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/14/2024 at 06:20:19