For Whom The Bell Tolls

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 10:14 pm
Great book, really. I just read it this week and it was superb.
It is now on the list of my top 5 books, for sure. Very Happy
Has anyone else read it? If so, what did you think of it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 948 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 07:57 am
I read it some 30 years ago. It was okay; however, it was not my favorite work by Hemingway.
0 Replies

CrazyDiamond

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 07:44 pm
I'm now on Hemingway's To Have and Have Not. It's pretty good so far. It's just his unique writing style that draws me in I guess. Anyway, what's your favorite Hemingway, Sturgis?
0 Replies

Hazlitt

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 12:04 am
For Whom the Bell Tolls
I read this book so long ago I'd dare not comment except to say that I remember enjoying it.

Three favorite Hemingway short stories that I've read recently:
The Undefeated--a bull fighting story way better than you might expect considering the topic.
A Clean Well Lighted Place--
and
The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber--cowardice, bravery, and gender battles.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 12:07 am
Hemingway is great. I read The Sun Also Rises a couple years ago. Loved it. Maybe I'll try For Whom The Bell Tolls next.
0 Replies

CrazyDiamond

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 10:15 pm
Okay, finished To Have and Have Not. Great book about not knowing what you've got 'till it's gone and not appreciating what a decent life you have until you screw it up. I'm about 1/3 way through Hemingway's The Old Man and The Sea. It's short though. And kicky, I wanted to buy The Sun Also Rises, but I couldn't find it used at a good price.
I'm now wondering if anyone has read A Farewell To Arms or Death in the Morning.
0 Replies