Most astounding symphony or opera ever

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 12:42 pm
Still playing with the Classical Archives. Going through all of Mendelsson. Neat, though I'm not crazy about his organ works (oops, that sounds ummm, well, nemmind really.)
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 01:06 pm
Mendelssohn's Concerto for Violin and Piano in D is truly uplifting. Just heard it three times in a row, can't listen to it enough.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 02:20 pm
Re: opera
hamburger wrote:
i don't have any particular kind of music that is an absolute must for me, but mrs h and i have a performer who for us was the outstanding singer of operas, operettas and lieder :
...FRITZ WUNDERLICH...

he passed away much too early !
we feel lucky to have some of his lp's and cd's (re-mastered). no matter what he sings , it's always an experience to hear his soft yet full voice.
we have a three cd-set that we particularly enjoy; it was issued by EMI and is simply called :
'der grosse deutsche tenor...fritz wunderlich...the great german tenor'
the repertoire starts with : don giovanni , goes on to martha, the merry wives of windsor, eugen onegin, pique dame and ends with 'dark eyes' .

Yes, I agree. Fritz Wunderlich, a wonderful tenor.

no matter what time of day, summer or winter, his voice always instills a certain 'lebenslust ' - a love for life. hbg

...more about 'fritz wunderlich'...

Yes, I agree. Fritz Wunderlich, a wonderful tenor. I first heard him on a radio program called "The Vocal Scene" with George Jellinek. That was back in the old days of public radio.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 02:23 pm
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 02:42 pm
i gave another try to Les Contes d'Hoffman, and really liked it. Don't know why I didn't the first time around.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 04:23 pm
coluber2001 wrote:

I love Mahler's 10 ("Unfinished"). :wink:
0 Replies

Eryemil

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 07:40 am
I am a lover of the opera, so here are my favorites. (not in this [or any] particular order)

1. Puccini's 'Tosca'
2. Dvroak's 'Rusalka'
3. Bizet's 'Carmen'
4. Mozart's 'The Magic Flute'
5. Verdi's 'La Forza del Destino'
6. Delibes' 'Lakme'
7. Donizetti's 'Lucia di Lammermoor'

Madame Butterfly has it's moments for me too, I hope you like some of these. Very Happy
0 Replies

Francisco DAnconia

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 03:31 pm
I just got ahold of some great versions of my favorite symphonic and orchestral pieces:

Beethoven's 7th Symphony. The second movement is one of the most beautiful movements ever.

Beethoven's 9th Symphony ...okay, I know it's the best-known symphony in all of classical literature, but that doesn't detract from its splendor.

Ottorino Respighi's The Pines of the Appian Way. I turn up the volume and close my eyes, and slip away into the glorious crescendo of Respighi's masterwork. It's absolutely divine.

Tchaikovsky's 4th Symphony - the finale is breathtaking. We're playing this in the Garden State Youth Philharmonic Orchestra, but hearing a real orchestra play it is great.

Beethoven's Egmont Overture. Maybe the coolest opening of any piece of classical music ever.

Dvorak's New World Symphony. Classic. The finale is the most famous, but the second and third movements are at least as wonderful.

As a seventeen-year-old driving a sporty car with rims and a subwoofer, it's kind of gratifying to see people turn up their nose at my pumping bass at red lights. If only they knew that it was Tchaikovsky coming out of my speakers.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 07:36 pm
Carmen
0 Replies

el pohl

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2006 02:24 pm
The one I can remember right now. Brahms Op. 90 in F... haven't found it in my P2P applications hehe Sad.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2006 02:48 pm
el_pohl wrote:
The one I can remember right now. Brahms Op. 90 in F...

Yes, the Third Symphony. Great piece. Generally I'm not a fan of Brahms's symphonic music, but the Third Symph is one of the exceptions.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 06:21 pm
Quote:
1. Puccini's 'Tosca'
2. Dvroak's 'Rusalka'
3. Bizet's 'Carmen'
4. Mozart's 'The Magic Flute'
5. Verdi's 'La Forza del Destino'
6. Delibes' 'Lakme'
7. Donizetti's 'Lucia di Lammermoor'

Great thread! I've always been a great ballet fan, but recently I've met someone who is a big fan of opera. So I'd like to learn more about it.

The only opera I'm really familiar with is Carmen. This list is going to come in handy so I don't look like a total opera dummy. Thanks!!

Any other operas you can suggest?

http://www.swapmeetdave.com/Humor/Cats/Cat-with-hatT.jpg
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 07:16 pm
Anything by Arthur Fiedler and the Boston Pops.
They could do anything from all of the popular rock groups and you would like it,then they could turn around and do Mozarts Requiem and you would like it.
They were a joy to listen to,no matter what you liked or what you knew about music.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 07:40 pm
Thanks, mysteryman! :wink:
0 Replies