Have you ever passed off a ready-made meal as your own?

Reyn

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 11:55 am
Have you ever tried to impress your husband, wife, relatives, friends, dating companion, that the meal you're serving them wasn't made by your very own hands?

For background, read this article:

LONDON (Reuters) - Almost a third of young Britons have passed off a ready-made meal as their own creation in order to impress someone, according to a survey by the Department of Health on Monday.

Women were the worst offenders, with 40 percent saying they had claimed food bought in a shop as their own, compared to 22 percent of men.

And seven percent of the 1,000 16-24-year-olds questioned said they regularly claimed credit for food they had bought.

The research, conducted as part of the department's 5 A DAY campaign to encourage people to eat more fruit and vegetables, also found that one in 10 had never cooked a proper meal for themselves because they "don't know how".

It also discovered that women were more impressed by a man's cooking ability than whether they owned a flashy car.

source
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,478 • Replies: 23
No top replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 12:50 pm
I've been known to serve Stouffer's macaroni and cheese in a nice bowl. The stuff is good.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 02:28 pm
Ah, the first person to 'fess up! Laughing

Did anybody have any idea that you didn't make it?
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 02:31 pm
I think sometimes it's a common thing for folks to stop at KFC get some chicken and toss it in a bowl say for a potluck or picnic - I don't think the intention so take claim foe preparation in some of those cases.

Is funny none the less Smile
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 02:35 pm
I'm pretty sure I haven't.

I'll sometimes take a food that's been prepared, and add something to it, or make my own side dishes. But I'll tell whover's eating it that the main part was store bought.

Especially if they like it.....I like to share then how I made it so they can enjoy it at home.

If something is a totally prepared dish, even if it's excellent, I still feel that anyone could tell it wasn't home made (sometimes because it's so good)
0 Replies

kermit

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 02:42 pm
KFC? Really? That's pretty brave. I've definitely done this before, but not on a very large scale. I bought some cookies at a grocery store and brought to the office and everyone thought it was the best cookies they've ever had. I thought it was strange that they loved the generic grocery store cookies so much. Some asked for recipes so I think I gave them some other generic chocolate chip cookie recipe... There, I've confessed. Laughing
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 02:48 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
I'll sometimes take a food that's been prepared, and add something to it, or make my own side dishes. But I'll tell whover's eating it that the main part was store bought.

An honest person! There will definitely be a place in heaven for you. :wink:
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 02:50 pm
kermit wrote:
There, I've confessed. Laughing

Thank you for your confession, and welcome to A2k! Very Happy
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 02:51 pm
Actually, I tried this once at a pot luck. But the Pizza Hut box gave me away.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 03:06 pm
Yes, I once tried to do a barbeque, and everyone was impressed how I wrapped each hamburger separately in little sheets of paper with golden arches on it.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 03:08 pm
I have no illusions about my cooking. I think that my guests are very grateful when I serve a ready made meal! Laughing
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 03:14 pm
kermit wrote:
KFC? Really? That's pretty brave. I've definitely done this before, but not on a very large scale. I bought some cookies at a grocery store and brought to the office and everyone thought it was the best cookies they've ever had. I thought it was strange that they loved the generic grocery store cookies so much. Some asked for recipes so I think I gave them some other generic chocolate chip cookie recipe... There, I've confessed. Laughing

Yeah, that's funny when they like something that was the cheapest thing on the shelf.

Some people try to act like they can tell the difference between a mushroom that grew 10 feet away from the tree as opposed to 12 feet.

Then, they eat something you made and love it. They ask for the receipe and I want to say, "well, you take about half a bottle of catsup, now don't use ketchup, that won't work......."
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 03:17 pm
I'm cooking for someone tonight, and I'm not home right now to check for sure, but I think I used ketchup instead of catsup. Now you have me worried. What's going to happen?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 03:55 pm
You're in big trouble now, brandon.

I claim innocence. It's nice to be innocent of something.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 04:09 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
I'm cooking for someone tonight, and I'm not home right now to check for sure, but I think I used ketchup instead of catsup. Now you have me worried. What's going to happen?

oh brandon, I'm sorry dear. I'm afraid there's nothing you can do at this point.

Maybe you should consider giving your guests some meals that you individually prepared, and carefully placed in little aluminum trays that have 3 or 4 sections to keep your peas and carrots from mixing with your apple pan dowdy.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 04:13 pm
see, something like this..

http://photos22.flickr.com/27015641_6a858d0b31.jpg
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 07:10 pm
Hey, is that a golden arch I see in dem veggies? :wink:
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 07:22 pm
Speaking of....what's that I see in the mashed potatoes? Could that be.....be the Virgin Mary?

Don't take another bite!!! It'll be worth a fortune! :wink:

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b307/ReynN/swdin.jpg
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 09:10 pm
I never have!
Let them eat my cooked food and pretend it's tasty.
I especially love them searching for words to compliment
it. They'd say: "Ahhh, the meatloaf is just ...aehm, uh, different" and I reply: "What meatloaf? That's filet mignon!"
After that, silence usually takes over.... Laughing
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 09:13 pm
who would want to claim a premade meal was home made? Aren't they usually bad?
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Have you ever passed off a ready-made meal as your own?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 04:29:03