Old Western Novels

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 05:24 pm
I grew up loving westerns, including Max Brand, Walter Van Tilburg Clark, and others. But never got into Zane Grey. The other day, I came into some abandonded Grey books, including the obligatory RIDERS OF THE PURPLE SAGE, TWIN SOMBREROS, and THE HASH KNIFE OUTFIT. Wishing to examine his writing style, I dug into Twin Sombreros. It's pretty neat and colorful writing. I have trouble with the protagonist's language. He uses "aboot" a lot and "yu" for you. But it's getting pretty exciting, y'all hombres.

How about you? Got any favorites?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 998 • Replies: 4
No top replies

roger

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 06:13 pm
If you ever come across the sadly out of print Jubilation Gap, read it. It's just the most hilarious book I've ever read.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 06:14 pm
Author?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 06:20 pm
Don't remember. The last name is either Peterson or Patterson. It is really hard to find.

On the subject of hard to find, Deep Enough is full of factual anectotes from a mining engineer in the west around the turn of the century. I forget who wrote that too, but I think amazon still lists both as out of print books.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 07:00 pm
Amazon is good about locating out of prints. Thanks, roger.
0 Replies