I'm looking for a free Word Blocker application

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 02:32 pm
I've been looking for a free word blocker that allows you to choose the words that you want to block from displaying in your web browser.

I know that the technology exists because NetNany does it. But NetNany won't allow you to block certain religious words, and that's mostly what I want to block.

Any ideas? I'm surprised that software like this isn't more common. If there something out there that isn't free I may be willing to pay about $20. But only if it has a free evaluation period.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,026 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Heliotrope

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 06:13 pm
I'm curious as to your motivation for wanting to do this in the first place.
0 Replies

rhymer

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 06:58 pm
Biassed to kids, this site will allow you to find software to suit your own requirements...

http://kids.getnetwise.org/tools/tool_result.php3?display_start=1&functionality_id_array%5B%5D=931452452.18753&protocol_id_array%5B%5D=931452678.16848&platform_id_array%5B%5D=1049482303.5902
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 10:09 pm
Heliotrope, So I can block words.

rhymer, Thanks, I'll check it out.
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 05:09 am
Thank you for that informative clarification.
I'm sure the other users of your newly blocked PC will thank you for the similar transparency and tolerance you display here.
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 05:27 am
Heliotrope wrote:
Thank you for that informative clarification.
I'm sure the other users of your newly blocked PC will thank you for the similar transparency and tolerance you display here.

My "Newly Blocked" PC isn't newly blocked yet, and there are no others, only me.

Your reaction is a little strange. You should save your comments for people who want to sensor the general public. Not people that want to sensor their own private property. Because frankly, it's none of your business.
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 05:46 am
roverroad wrote:
Because frankly, it's none of your business.

That is true.
It is none of my business.
I was motivated to ask about your motivation for doing such a thing however.
I had naturally assumed you were a reasonable person and would perhaps help me to understand why one would wish to censure one's own computer. Perhaps with a view to examining one's own motivations for doing so and the necessity therefore.
Clearly not however.
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 05:52 am
If you must know, I want to block out words having to do with religion. I'm not religious and I'm tired of getting a lesson on the bible every day. OK?

The reason I didn't want to say was because now all of the religious people are offended.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 06:58 am
No offence taken here. I would be curious as to the words chosen to block. ;-)
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 07:01 am
roverroad wrote:
If you must know, I want to block out words having to do with religion.

If you could do that, the posts would not make much sense. Wouldn't it be easier simply to avoid those threads which annoy you?
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 02:39 am
Intrepid, Well, I would block words like these:

God
Christian
Spirituality
Religion
Buddhism
blessed
Islam
believer
demon
pray
Creationism
Christ
religious
Bible
protestant
catholic
praise
lord
Atheist
Jesus
Evil
Commandments
Faith
Intelligent Design
Jewish
Worship
Mormon
Hanukkah
Heaven
Hell

Phoenix, It doesn't matter if those threads don't make sense because I'm not interested in them anyway. Smile

This really isn't a big priority for me. It's more along the lines of something that I set up because I'm bored.

I did discover though, CyberSitter doesn't allow you to block the words God and Christian, yet it will allow you to block the words Allah and Muslim. Why they would disallow you to block some words is beyond me. They obviously have an agenda at CyberSitter.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 05:10 am
I tend to agree with Phoenix.

BTW... what about words like John, Matthew, David, Paul, Simon, Peter etc. etc.?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 07:02 am
Quote:
Phoenix, It doesn't matter if those threads don't make sense because I'm not interested in them anyway.

Roverroad- So why go to the trouble in the first place? I can usually tell, at a glance, as to the nature of a thread. My mouse is very helpful in extricating myself from discussions of which I have no interest.
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 07:44 am
Ignoring them doesn't help when you use the New Posts feature and you have to weed through 15 religion posts all basically telling me that God Loves Me. I feel like I'm at the Airport surrounded by Hari Christnas when I'm looking for posts to read. Laughing

I don't complain because people have the right to post this stuff, So if I don't like it, rather than complain like an idiot, I block it. It affects nobody but me that way. :wink:
0 Replies