Quicktime help

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 05:33 am
Quicktime is the bane of my midi-opening life. I go to a website where there's an archive of midis. Before I had to install Quicktime in order to use iTunes, whenever I clicked on a link, the Firefox browser would give me an option of saving to disc or opening it up with Mplayer2.exe, which I believe is an old windows media player.

Unfortunately, Quicktime is an over-presumptious annoying plug-in that makes itself the default player of every single format of media you can think of without your permission.

I need to prevent Quicktime from opening up a midi when I click on a midi link and revert the browser back to its original settings. Thing is, I have no idea how to do that and I really need someone's help.

Please help me.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 626 • Replies: 4
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 10:32 am
Open Quicktime, select "Edit" from the app's toolbar, select "Preferences" from the dropdown, click "QuickTime Preferences", in the box that opens, click to open the dropdown in the dialog box, select "File Type Associations", click the "File Types" button, click or unclick as appropriate to set QuickTimes response to the various file types; clicked means QuickTime is the default, unclicked means something else is. When you're done, click "Apply", then click "OK", then close QuickTime. You may hafta reboot to effect the changes. Be a good idea to do more or less the same thing with all your media apps - check to see what file types are associated with what media app, and set your preferences the way you want them.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 05:18 pm
timberlandko wrote:
Open Quicktime, select "Edit" from the app's toolbar, select "Preferences" from the dropdown, click "QuickTime Preferences", in the box that opens, click to open the dropdown in the dialog box, select "File Type Associations", click the "File Types" button, click or unclick as appropriate to set QuickTimes response to the various file types; clicked means QuickTime is the default, unclicked means something else is. When you're done, click "Apply", then click "OK", then close QuickTime. You may hafta reboot to effect the changes. Be a good idea to do more or less the same thing with all your media apps - check to see what file types are associated with what media app, and set your preferences the way you want them.

Oh yeah, I've forgotten to mention that I've done that. Quicktime refuses to acknowledge that I don't want it opening up midi files I find on the Net. This has happened before and the last time I had to uninstall Quicktime.

I can't do it this time round, because iTunes needs Quicktime to function. Damn Quicktime.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 01:47 am
Well, that leads me to suspect it might be related to the iPod software, then. Wouldn't have any personal experience with that - no fan at all of digitally compressed music, period. It took the music industry a good long while to get CD to critically acceptable standard (and there still are glaring lapses) - early mass marlet/pop CDs, from the mid '80s into the early-mid '90s, generally sound like crap. Some premium label/premium content stuff was pretty good even back into the latter '80s, but for lotsa stuff that was recorded before the mid '90s, the vinyl recordings sound better - given adequate reproduction equipment of course. Now, digitally compressed music is improving in quality, and will continue to improve, but frankly, for critical listening over a decent audio system, its a long way from "THERE" yet.

Sorry for the rant there - I just ain't a fan of digitally compressed music; to me the best of it just begins to resemble music, most of it sounds to my ear about like music from a table radio.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 05:35 am
So I will have to live with the presumptious curse of Quicktime forever?
0 Replies