Who's seen Narnia?

Reyn

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 10:07 pm
I saw Narnia today with my wife and we thought it was terrific. The scenes with the various animal characters were amazing. It's hard to tell where the computer-generated stuff starts and ends.

Although I've never read any of the books, I'm already looking forward to the second installment. Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,524 • Replies: 22
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 10:39 pm
I was Narnia adorer as a little kid.....and there is still magic there (though I was disappointed when I picked up the christian allegory stuff as an older kid).

So...I liked the film!

Mr Tumnus was perfect.....and I liked that they kept a lot of detail.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 10:42 pm
I liked it.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 10:59 am
dlowan wrote:
I was Narnia adorer as a little kid.....and there is still magic there (though I was disappointed when I picked up the christian allegory stuff as an older kid).

I went into seeing the movie with almost knowing nothing about the stories.

About a couple of weeks prior to seeing it, I did watch something on TV talking about the movie. It was in regards to Lewis and how he was a Christian, and everything to do with the Narnia Chronicles had Christian symbolism all over the place.

I would have perferred not knowing that, but it didn't spoil it for me (I'm not a Christian). I could see in some places where it was intended.

Instead, I concentrated on the story and the technical deftness of the making of it. The various characters were absolutely excellent.

Of course, the gist of the movie, good versus evil, has been told many times. It's told here much better than, let's say, the Harry Potter films, for example, in my opinion.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 02:05 pm
Nice movie, great effects, some terrific characters (the Witch, the Lion, Mr. Tumnus), overall good BUT...

The little tea-sipping girl's acting annoyed the hell out of me: the same little grin whether she's happy, in danger or angry, yuck.

The little traitor -who can't act, either- got away with nothing but a reprimand, and even became King.

Girls were soooooo girly they could do nothing to save the lion, lest they think they're tomboys.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 02:35 pm
Er.....against THAT army?

That's just silly.

It was funny...in the book, Lewis has Aslan comment quite often about how ugly battle is when women have to fight....and he DOESN'T say that in the film, but the boy stuff is there nonetheless.

But the thing is set in WW II England, already...it was pretty egalitarian for its time.

I noted that lots of female centaurs fought.

The christian stuff is there, but not in everything...Lewis as a well educated Englishman of his time, has lots of lovely pagan lore in there as well..like the very derandified fauns (educated folk would have been worried about far mor eimmediately dreadful fates for Lucy than being betrayed to the white witch!)

I did find Lucy a bit annoying...but poor old Edmund was dealt a difficult hand...being surly and 'orrid for no good reason.
0 Replies

EndersGame

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 03:11 pm
I have watched the movie. I read the books when i was little and the movie was almost nothing like the books. In the movie they left out a couple of important things.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 03:11 pm
I've been wondering how many movies they'll spin this series out to. There were 7 books, but I guess that doesn't necessarily mean that there will be an equal amount of films.

Although, the first has done well.
0 Replies

EndersGame

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 03:14 pm
Ya the first film did do well. It is because of all the nice special effects that were in it.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 03:18 pm
For sure that has a lot to do with it, but I thought the story was quite palatable, even for an adult.

Nowadays, special effects is in many movies, but if it doesn't have a decent plot line /story, it'll fall flat on its face in no time.
0 Replies

EndersGame

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 03:37 pm
Ya true. I was surprised that it kept me interested in it.
0 Replies

Lotr freak

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 08:48 am
I saw Nania. It was awesome. I haven't read the book either.
0 Replies

Mirage

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 10:27 am
I didn't like the film, but I can't say it's bad.
0 Replies

macaroni

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2006 06:19 am
I just watched the movie a couple of hours ago and it's fantastic! Very Happy

I haven't read the books yet but I had watched all the movies in the old BBC version of Narnia, when i was 9 and i remembered bits of the movie.
The animation was great and all the animals seemed so real..! The whole audience was laughing in all those funny parts. It was truly an amazing movie.
0 Replies

macaroni

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2006 06:21 am
And i thought the little girl was very cute and she acted really well.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2006 08:56 am
A great film, well done indeed!
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2006 08:59 am
I thought it was okay, but just okay.
0 Replies

happytaffy

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 01:39 pm
totally not my kind of movie...and I love it.
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 05:04 am
happytaffy wrote:
totally not my kind of movie...and I love it.

Good fantacy Flick... Liked more than Harry Potter Goblet....
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 08:47 am
I just watched it yesterday (on DVD) with my 5-year-old daughter -- wow! I was very impressed. SHE was absolutely blown away. The expression on her face when Lucy was crowned was so great -- obviously heavy identification going on.

I've always liked Tilda Swinton and I thought she was magnificent in this, gorgeous and terrifying and very, very evil. She had all of these tiny throwaway expressions -- a split-second rapacious grin before erasing it to say something coldly and dispassionately.

Very impressed with Mr. Tumnus, who I remembered as older, but overall tone was good.

I read all of the books two-three times each as a kid which made the viewing experience interesting -- I read them so long ago that they're there but details are lacking, but things on the screen seemed deeply familiar, mind-pictures made real.

The battle scene was a stunner, technically amazing.

Aslan was a little lacking, to me. He showed up so late, and just kinda pranced around being saintly -- in the books I remember (though maybe incorrectly) him being more of a personality, more character development.

Curious about where things will go from here, too. Doesn't Susan get cast out, or die, or something? Something about losing her innocence, I can't remember.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Who's seen Narnia?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/25/2024 at 07:30:38