A Million Little Pieces

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 08:25 am
Has anyone else read this? I loved this book. I'd love to hear what others thought about it!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 929 • Replies: 7
No top replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 08:27 am
im waiting to read it.
but im sort of ....... I dunno... Upset about it publishing?

I hate to see people glamorize addiction.
I hate to see people claim that another person is " good" simply because of what they have endured and not what they have become.
The Oprah crowd has done that.

But I will stop there in my judgement because I have NOT read this book and I have NOT followed the critics/media etc.. on this story.

Though I do hear that his writting style is FABULOUS! Kudos to they guy.. really.!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 10:08 am
I have read only the reviews of Frey's book, not the book itself.

http://snipurl.com/l8xz

The reviews have been excellent, but over the years I've absorbed enough second-hand horror about addictions of all sorts. I will no longer wallow in bodily fluids for the sake of Insight or the cause of High Art.

Shewolf wrote:

Quote:
I hate to see people glamorize addiction.
I hate to see people claim that another person is " good" simply because of what they have endured and not what they have become.
The Oprah crowd has done that.

Her background is very different from mind and she well may be more qualified to judge this book, this genre, than I am.

The book is about the life of a middle-class addict. Unlike most addicts, of whatever social class, Frey can translate his degradation into readable prose. He's not only "clean", he's got royalty checks coming in--and his writing deserves those royalty checks.

Personally I'd classify any former addict as "highly improved" whether they were articulate or not. At one point in my life I spent a great deal of time around the Would Be Creative people who used drugs and alcohol as Royal Roads to Insight and Immortality.

Drunken poets aren't very good poets. Wasted poets aren't very good poets. Neither drunks nor druggies are pleasant people to know.

CL--

By all means, read the book. Enlarge your dominion.
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 11:24 am
I got the book for Christmas and finished it last night. I couldn't put the book down, I just loved the way he wrote it, it felt real.

Plus it reminded me alot about a few of my friends and hit close to home in a strange sense, though I have not gone through what he has, I could still relate...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 05:51 pm
CL--

Second hand experience can be very useful for understanding yourself and others.

You don't really have time to make all possible mistakes yourself.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 07:29 pm
I'm looking forward to reading this book when I get a chance, simply bc I have heard the writing is excellent.
Subject matter not important if the writer is above par. I need to read a good writer asap!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 07:33 pm
read Fall on your knees by Ann Marie Mcdonald.

great book. Great writter.
You should really enjoy it. ;-)
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 08:19 pm
thanks shewolf !

Will do. As soon as I get my butt to the library.
0 Replies