My world and welcome to it....

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 06:55 pm
3 entries found for portent.
por·tent ( P ) Pronunciation Key (pôrtnt, pr-)
n.
An indication of something important or calamitous about to occur; an omen.
Prophetic or threatening significance: signs full of portent.
Something amazing or marvelous; a prodigy.

Do you believe in signs and symbols and omens?

I'm not typically TOO superstitious. New Years day always makes me freaky though and this one has been a doozy.

Before I go start burrying chicken bones and fingernails and hair clippings out in the yard, I'm thinking maybe I just need to calm down, breathe deep and ummm...... something.

I'm going to put on my garlic necklace and take Mo out for dinner and hopefully when I get back someone can fill me in on good and bad portents.

How do you know if a portent is good or bad?

Can a portent be kind of sarcastic?

Happy new year!

<thud>
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 925 • Replies: 24
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 07:01 pm
I believe in preminitions, having had them work on me and my first wife, together and independently. Omens are a different thing, and may only work if you inadvertently cause them to happen because you believe in them.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 07:19 pm
I'm way too supersitious for my own good, but can't shake it, so just accept it.

What are the portents, dare I ask?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 07:23 pm
Listening....

(Although I may take my Beastly Cold to bed early. If so, I'll check my dreams for portents.)
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 07:31 pm
Re: My world and welcome to it....
boomerang wrote:

No.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 07:40 pm
horse feathers
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 07:52 pm
Re: My world and welcome to it....
Thomas wrote:
boomerang wrote:

No.

what he said, in a girly "not-so-much" way.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 07:55 pm
I certainly believe in premonitions and "nagging feelings". I think they are just parts of our subconscious that have put two and two together and are gently trying to let our conscious know that it's four.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 07:56 pm
dyslexia wrote:
horse feathers

Shocked
oooh, horse feathers bad portent
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 07:56 pm
Totally.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 08:01 pm
for sure.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 08:12 pm
We're so, like, 80's....
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 10:01 pm
Taking Beastly Cold to bed.

Factor A: Omen.

Factor B: Interpretation of Omen.

I very much doubt that the cookie crumbs on the rug advised you to make Mo--or any of Mo's blood kin--a special Kool Ade cocktail.

When my thumbs prickle, something wicked is headed my way.

Trust your personal radar.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 08:12 am
Sorry it took so long to get back. My computer is still not working.

We had a power outage for a big chunk of the day. It went out with a big pop and my keyboard seems to be fried. I haven't been able to tell whether anything else on it is fried.

I had decided to make a lot of the good luck foods on the New Year's thread. Everything was happily bubbling and roasting when the power went out so most of our good luck meal is now in the trash.

Still, I'm kind of enjoying our low-tech celebration. It's all nice and quiet and we're all just goofing off. Mr. B and Mo trundle off to take a nap so I go to the bookstore. When I get back they haven't napped and Mr. B, not Mo, is all cranky.

Mo is getting hungry and we don't have a lot of things to eat that don't require cooking so I decide that we will go out to dinner. Mr. B is napping so I shake him a bit and tell him I'm taking Mo to get something to eat so he gets up all snarky and sarcastic and acting put upon. WTF?

He's usually not like that at all - I'm the sarcastic one around here. I have dibs on snarky.

Our last visitor of the old year was Mo's bio-mom; the first phone call of the new year was Mo's bio-grandma.

So anyway. The holiday was spent with Mr. Hyde in a cold house with ruined food, with people I don't particularly like floating around the edges.

I thought about going to check into a hotel for the day and I really should have just done it!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 08:52 am
buy some white sage, close every window and door and fill your home with smoke.
open one window, and ring a loud bell.

then open all windows and doors and air it out.

( trots off talking to the people in my head )
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 10:13 am
Omens and portents, no. Hunches and intuition, yes.

I hate when I go to take a nap and don't get one. I'm with Mr. B on that one, although I try not to take it out on T or Yaya.

Chalk it up to a bad day, or bad hair day for Mr. B.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 10:18 am
See, I'm superstitious, but I spin the superstition in all kinds of weird ways.

Like, I might take the Good Luck Food Gone Bad incident as an indication that it's fruitless to try to influence the future, and as a reminder to go with the flow.

Short-term, though, bummer about the power outage and Oregon Fried Computer!
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 10:36 am
I can see how starting off the new year with a day like that could make you apprehensive towards the future. I'm with soz -- I think you should spin it. Maybe you've gotten the worst of the year over with. Maybe it can only go up from here.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 10:36 am
So do I have to be here while that stuff is burning!? I do have a cool temple bell that I could ring....

I hate it when I go to take a nap and don't get one too but really now, how many "wants" like that do you get to do when there are kids in the house?

I want to lay in the bathtub and drink a nice martini while reading my new book - only about a three hour sabbatical, about the same amount that one would spend on a nap.

My chances?

Fat.

I wasn't so much trying to influence the future as I was trying to establish some "traditions" in my house. It seems important this year.

I was feeling pretty proud of myself for filling both sides of his bio-family in on Mo's birthday plans - that I was having a party for him here and that they would all be invited and that the other "side" would be invited and that everyone was welcome and that they were all expected to behave. (See the soon to be posted thread where I will be asking advice on how to throw a birthday party.)

I'm establishing traditions, damnit!

And then a big wind came along laughing.

Anyway..... Mr. B is apologetic, the power is on and the computer is working once again.

Maybe the flow will be a bit kinder today.

Thank you all for listening.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 10:51 am
It does sound like a nice tradition. You said that most of the food was ruined, but that sounds like not ALL -- how about you eat what's left with great relish, and make it again next year?
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » My world and welcome to it....
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/09/2024 at 06:22:15