New Years Day Traditions?

Chai

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 03:10 pm
We always make sure we eat blackeyed peas. It's supposed to be for prosperity.

Where I grew up, many Italian friends made sure they ate fish that day.

I got married on January 1 so I always have the day off!

How do you ensure a happy new year?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,127 • Replies: 29
No top replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 03:15 pm
If I wake up on January 1st, I figure I made it through another year.
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 03:24 pm
our New Years day tradition is laying on the couch all day, maybe every now and again get up and scour the fridge eating everything and anything in sight all while recouping from the previous nights festivities!
...then ponder how Im going to give up smoking yet again :wink:
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 08:19 pm
We used to melt small pieces of lead over a flame and then
drop it in a bowl of cold water. From the shape the lead
forms, one can (supposedly) see signs of luck and fortune
for the coming year.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 08:20 pm
vomit.....
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 07:21 am
I usually go out to eat. It is my birthday so like Chai, I have something else to celebrate. However, now that I am older it is not so much a celebration as a downer that I am now aging.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 07:50 am
Paul Prudhomme's red beans and rice. We tried the Hop'n John one year (black eyed peas) - YUCK! RB&R is much, much better.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 07:53 am
Get together with friends and party. We don't see these people much throughout the year, so when we get together it's excess, excess, excess of everything; food, drinking, talking. We play catchup for an entire year practically.

However, this year, it appears that we will not be joining this group for NYE.

New tradition.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 07:58 am
cjhsa wrote:
Paul Prudhomme's red beans and rice. We tried the Hop'n John one year (black eyed peas) - YUCK! RB&R is much, much better.

Love ya once
Love ya twice
Love ya more than beans and rice

did you use fresh bep's and not the canned crap?

I just do mine with some sauteed onions and Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce.

CJ - melting lead!?
cool.
do you take any leftover melted lead and pour it over the parapets?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 08:38 am
We sacrifice a bullock and after the sacrifice we pull it apart quickly and read the pattern of its entrails. Then we usually watch some football.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 09:31 am
No college games this year on Jan. 1. Falls on a Sunday, which happens to be the last day of the NFL season. All bowl games of any importance begin on Jan. 2.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 10:50 am
Useta have New Year's Day traditions.

For about 20 years it involved waking up in a room with a whole lotta my friends sleeping all round - first one up had to go to the nearest corner store to buy the January issue of Cosmo (with the Cosmo girls bedside astrologer insert), sour cream and onion tater chips and a LOT of 2 litre bottles of ginger ale. Then we'd loll about and read our matchings/mismatchings to each other until later afternoon, when it was time to cook some kind of good meal full of left-overs.

Then for about 5 years I hosted a New Year's Day brunch. Cooked lotsa lotsa waffles, which were served with sweet and savoury toppings. Kinda got over that need to cook all day.

In my current neighbourhood, there's a tradition of everyone going down to the beach to walk together and greet everyone on New Years Day morning. Kinda cool, saying good morning and happy new year to a coupla thousand people. I like it, and it doesn't involve any special clean-up activities to participate.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 01:31 pm
bullock cooks up real good.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 01:33 pm
they taste good with fried taters.

and biscuts and mustard.

aright then
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 01:34 pm
Kegger....
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 01:52 pm
I wish I lived in eBeth's neighborhood. That sounds like a very nice tradition.

From the time I was old enough to notice New Years Eve I worked in a bar. I worked there all through college and then some too. I always worked so not much celebrating on my part.

When I no longer had to work in a bar being around drunk people did not hold much fascination for me so I just stay home and have a regular night.

For the last two years I have had a little cermony where I lock away the Mo diary of parental contacts waiting for the day I turn them all over to my adoption attorney.

I'm looking forward to locking away what is hopefully the last official, legal document diary this year!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 02:58 pm
I forgot the levees.

I used to love to go to New Year's Levees. Haven't done it in decades.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 05:06 pm
CJ, we also do the lead thing. We eat nothing that has wings on New Years Day- no poultry, no pheasants, no birds of any sort - so that luck doesn't fly away.
it's traditional to have smoked ham and potato salad for breakfast.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 05:56 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
....no birds of any sort - so that luck doesn't fly away.
it's traditional to have smoked ham......

Shocked Shocked

It's a good thing that you don't live in this part of the world! Pigs fly here! :wink:

http://www.hertfordshire.freeserve.co.uk/ActivistsExposed/FlyingPigs.jpg
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 03:27 pm
I always serve ham--or pork--for New Year's because the pig is the only animal who roots forward. Goats, sheep, cows all graze backwards.

I always serve peas or beans because seeds signify beginnings.

Supposedly if you eat black eyed peas on New Year's Day, you'll have wealth coming in the New Year. Still, some authorities assure me that while black eyed peas will guarantee small change you should have a mess of greens to conjure up folding money.

The meal is down to a science now, because I have no intention of spending 2006--or any other year--locked in my kitchen.

I try to start at least one book, finish at least one small project, try something new, re-establish contact with an old friend....

The world is full of places besides kitchens.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » New Years Day Traditions?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 06/01/2024 at 02:17:39