Manhattan's murderous Santa display up for bids

Reyn

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2005 01:57 pm
Manhattan's murderous Santa display up for bids, to raise money for charity

at 17:06 on December 25, 2005, EST.

NEW YORK (AP) - For the man who has everything, or someone really desperate to find a last-minute gift, Joel Krupnik and Mildred Castellanos have an answer: Their red-suited Santa Claus figure, holding a bloody knife in one hand and a severed doll's head in the other, went up for auction on Christmas Day.

Already, bidding had reached $200 US and "might go higher, maybe even to $500," the New York Post quoted Krupnik as saying.

Lest anyone be offended, and some people were, Krupnik had explained earlier that the macabre holiday display outside the couple's midtown Manhattan home was intended as a protest against the commercialization of Christmas.

The bids were to be deposited in a box next to the 1.5-metre tall Santa, to be opened after 3 p.m. Krupnik, whose telephone is unlisted, could not be reached late Sunday afternoon for a final accounting.

The auction proceeds would go to the highest bidder's favourite charity, according to a sign next to the display, which also included a number of other Barbie doll heads.

As for any critics suggesting the display was sacrilegious, Krupnik said St. Nick "is not in the Bible. He's not a religious symbol."

source
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 315 • Replies: 1
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2005 03:32 pm
The last time I checked Saints were indeed religious symbols -- at least to Catholics.

Not that that makes a big difference to me.

I think this idea is kind of creepy. I really don't get the imagery as being a relevent commentary on the commercialization of Christmas either.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Manhattan's murderous Santa display up for bids
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 02:18:45