A virus poised for attack?

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2005 12:34 pm
I received this message on my desktop a couple hours ago:

"A script in this movie is causing Macromedia Flash Player 8 to run slowly. If it continues, your computer may become unresponsive. Do you want to abort the script? [Yes] [No]"

The thing is, I wasn't watching a movie, nor have I accessed any movie files during my current boot session. Nor (to my knowledge) have I accessed any sites that use Flash Player.

The "X" (close) on the message was disabled, so rather than answering "no" I just left the message there, ignoring it until I'm ready to shut down. The message reoccurred 3 more times, then suddenly 6 more times within a few seconds, then not again since for over an hour.

Do you know of any viruses with this behavior? My Norton Antivirus didn't detect anything. I did have a P2P session open for a few minutes before I received the first message but never transfered anything.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 706 • Replies: 4
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2005 12:45 pm
roverroad, I've been getting those "Flash Player" messages on my computer too. According to Norton, downloading the program may slow down your computer, so I just delete it when it appears on my screen. Maybe timber has some info on it.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2005 12:48 pm
I found this: http://chattyfig.figleaf.com/pipermail/flashcoders/2005-July/145237.html
0 Replies

Michael S

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 11:13 am
roverroad, I hate anything poping up on my computer, most big companies know this and still can't help themselves like Acrobat or Realplayer, but try to limit themselves to once a day or once a log in.

6 times in a few seconds , disabling the cancel option, dude, you know that aint normal.

A quick suggestion in times like these is to do a roll back, restore the previous settings from a few days ago. Run Adaware. Run some anti virus software. By the way , nice one for just leaving the message hang...
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 12:14 am
Michael_S, You've got some good points. I don't see the folks at Macromedia designing their software to behave that way. I did run into some behavioral problems yesterday and I did pretty much everything but a rollback. My computer seems to have been running fine every since I guess I will just have to be more careful in the future and stop using those P2P networks. There's nothing on them that I really want to download anyway.
0 Replies