The Sex Pistols!!!!!

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2005 12:32 pm
They rock!!!

The best punk band ever!! The main inspiration for The Buzzcocks and The Clash. The most influential band in British punk history. The first band to define punk. I love 'em don't you?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,731 • Replies: 21
No top replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2005 01:01 pm
I'm no discharge mummy....
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2005 08:48 pm
"the Sex Pistols' infamous early concert at the Lesser Free Trade Hall (Manchester) on June 4th 1976. Infamous, but not because of rioting crowds or lightning from the sky - "There were only 27 people, and basically we all sat there, individually spread out over this room, just with our mouths open." says Tony. The concert changed everyone's perceptions about music - no longer did you have to be talented to play in a band, punk was the very antithesis of highly crafted musicanship."

the movie 24 hour party people, more or less opens with this concert, tony wilson, the founder of factory records goes on to state that everyone at the concert would go on to start either a band or record label or both, members of joy division and later new order were present
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2005 10:29 pm
no future no future .... Smile
0 Replies

CrazyDiamond

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2005 11:15 am
no future for you! ! Cool

Nice story djjd Very Happy
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2005 12:28 pm
Re: The Sex Pistols!!!!!
CrazyDiamond wrote:
They rock!!!

The best punk band ever!! The main inspiration for The Buzzcocks and The Clash. The most influential band in British punk history. The first band to define punk. I love 'em don't you?

The Clash and the Pistols and the Damned were all a part of the same scene. As far as I know, the Ramones preceded them, which persuades me to give them props for "defining" punk. I know Joe Strummer has said he learned a lot from watching and listening to the Ramones.

Of course, if we want to play the whole "who came first" game, we'd go back to the Stooges, etc.

I'd have to say the Damned are my favorite British punk band. But Never Mind the Bollocks is a kick ass album for sure. My favorite tracks are Problems and New York.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2005 09:50 pm
CrazyDiamond wrote:
no future for you! ! Cool

Nice story djjd Very Happy

check out the movie "24 hour party people". it's an interesting look at a pretty cool part of brit music history, the founding of factory records and the hacienda club
0 Replies

Agent of Change

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2005 09:53 pm
I think some of the MC5 stuff is very punky, and that was before the Pistols? Or I'm confused. Either way, "Kick out the Jams" is seriously quality.
0 Replies

BlaiseDaley

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2005 10:31 pm
MC5 pre dates the Pistols.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2005 10:41 pm
jespah wrote:
no future no future .... Smile

I had this playing tonight.

They are so silly.
0 Replies

Agent of Change

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2005 10:48 pm
BlaiseDaley wrote:
MC5 pre dates the Pistols.

Cheers for that. I had suspected that was the case from the length of the hair and the width of the trousers, but I wasn't sure. :wink:
0 Replies

CrazyDiamond

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2005 10:58 pm
What an interesting, and strangely accurate, way to determine the time period.
Laughing
0 Replies

BlaiseDaley

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2005 11:23 pm
A Clothiers Guide to the Universe.
0 Replies

Agent of Change

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2005 11:27 pm
I find it's easier to estimate from men than women, but skirt length, hairstyle and jewellery can also be used with some sucess for the ladies. Things get complicated when retro fashions come and go, however...
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 12:47 pm
The Stooges used to open for MC5--they were like a little brother band. Then reps from Elektra who came to sign MC5 found out about Iggy. With the exception of Kid Rock, Detroit has given the world some amazing music.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 01:16 pm
Good thread. I do think the Ramones deserve credit for starting the sound we now think of as punk, and, as others have noted, their trip to the UK (in '76?) inspired Joe Strummer and many others.

The Sex Pistols's sound was incredible (I still recall the first time I heard "Never Mind the Bollocks..."), but I tend to think of them now as being manipulated by Malcolm McLaren from the get-go. Whereas the Ramones were truly self-created.
0 Replies

BlaiseDaley

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 05:04 pm
Still and all, liner notes aside, however the sound came about, the Sex Pistols were a great band. There's a radio station here in LA where Pistol guitarist Steves Jones has a show and not too long ago Mr. McLaren turned up as a guest.
0 Replies

CrazyDiamond

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 08:13 pm
That would certainly be an interesting radio show...
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 08:33 am
'No future, no future, no future for you. So what you gonna do?...'

No they ROCK definately the best punk band of all time, just because of their snarling attitudes crazy stunts and drug addictions.
and of course the music is frigin brilliant.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 10:03 am
Yeah, the music is good stuff. Unfortunately, all the snarling and vomitting, while totally entertaining, really made it tough for my boys, the Ramones, to break through the way they wanted to. People were afraid to play their records.

I love Johnny Rotten. Probably even more so in Public Image Ltd. You Pistols fans might check out the album "Second Edition." It's post-punk, a huge departure from the Pistols, but Johnny, for all his posturing, was truly a musician, as evident on that PILtd album.

Best punk band of all time? These days I'm listening to a lot of Misfits. The Misfits or Ramones get my vote.
0 Replies