Send E Mails to Yourself in the Future

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 06:07 am
There is a web site called "Future Me" People can create an E Mail, and arrange to have it delivered some timne in the future, even in many years.

The idea is to make yourself a sort of internet time capsule. People are asked to put down their thoughts and ideas, so that it might be interesting to read those thoughts, years later.

The name of the site is: www.futureme.org

Funny thing, I get this funny feeling every time I read something that I wrote a few years ago on A2K. For me, THAT has become a sort of time capsule.

What do you think of that idea? Do you think that it might be interesting to write down what you are thinking about various issues now, and then be able to compare it with what you think in the future?

http://www.heraldnewsdaily.com/stories/news-00113564.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 792 • Replies: 10
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 07:05 am
Interesting idea. How do we know the ones holding on to the messages will be in business then? Better, I think, to put it on CD as I did much of Abuzz and a2k.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 08:05 am
It reminds me of keeping a journal, which I did for many, many years, and then going back years later and reading it. Not easy. Kind of embarrassing really.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 08:19 am
This is new?

I send emails to myself all the time for reminders and such, and just mark it so it won't be delivered until a certain date.

Albeit, I've never gone more than a year out..
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 08:26 am
Ah, my salad days, when I was green in judgment....

As a woman addicted to perpetual introspection, my perpetual blushes can occur when I reread a pushy post from last week.

Of course, the older I get the more charity I have for effusions and ponderous analysis written when I was young and bumptious.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 08:56 am
:-)

When I was in elementary school, we wrote (paper) letters to ourselves in the future. My teacher held on to them and actually mailed them -- I got mine in college, I think. It was great, came at a time when it was a real kick in the booty in a good way.

I'd do it, I think. (As a concept, not sure if I actually will with this company.)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 12:08 pm
I've read about web sites that (for a fee) will let you send messages to your Near & Dear from Beyond the Grave.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 12:10 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
I've read about web sites that (for a fee) will let you send messages to your Near & Dear from Beyond the Grave.

I wouldn't buy any stock in that company, if I were you, Noddy! :wink:
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 12:16 pm
I'll either deliver my thoughts from The Great Beyond personally, or in pre-mortem written, post-mortem dated envelopes entrusted to the executor of my will.

Electronics are not necessary.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 12:19 pm
I did this, except I sent a letter back in time to myself. Because, you know, we'll be able to do that.

Whoa...here it is. Let's read it.

"Dear Slappy,

Remember me? I wonder how tall I am now. Hey, quick note. On Monday, December 19th, 2005, don't have sex with that Thai shemale hooker you ordered online. She'll give you some serious VD. Also, bet on...."

I'll read the rest later. My doorbell just rang.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 12:26 pm
If I'd send an email to myself in the future, it would probably say: "get the F off of the web already!!"
0 Replies