Scientists uncover reason for Mona Lisa's smile

Reyn

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 11:24 pm
AMSTERDAM, Netherlands (AP) - The mysterious half-smile that has intrigued viewers of the Mona Lisa for centuries isn't really that difficult to interpret, Dutch researchers said Thursday.

She was smiling because she was happy - 83 per cent happy, to be exact, according to scientists from the University of Amsterdam. In what they viewed as a fun demonstration of technology rather than a serious experiment, the researchers scanned a reproduction of Leonardo da Vinci's masterpiece and subjected it to cutting-edge "emotion recognition" software, developed in collaboration with the University of Illinois.........

Scientists uncover reason for Mona Lisa's smile: she was happy
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,005 • Replies: 17
No top replies

Stevepax

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 11:26 pm
Are you sure someone didn't just goose her?
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 06:00 am
I always thought it was because she was predicting the future and how people would debate about her smile for decades, unaware that she was suffering from gas bubbles and had just let one go...
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 06:19 am
She always looked a bit anal retentive to me! Laughing
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 06:28 am
I think she was verging on insanity and was just smiling when she enumerated the ways in which she will torture and kill da Vinci, who painted her portrait over 1000 times, destroying it each time for not being 'perfect'. the one that we know was saved only by accident when a friend stopped him from tearing it up and snatched it away from him.... or so i heard the story.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 08:23 am
Thank heavens, Dag's reply has saved the day! :wink: Laughing
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 08:59 am
Like most people of her time she probably had bad teeth. It was also considered lewd for a woman to smile with her mouth
open . Think of the portraits of the time, no one had a big grin - except when portraying someone of the lower classes.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 10:00 am
Green Witch - Very true. Many of the old portraits of the day show women with their lips closed. But there is usually no trace of a smile. The unique thing about the Mona Lisa, is that her smile is indicating that there is something "major" going on in her mind.
0 Replies

BlaiseDaley

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 05:03 pm
I think the clue to her smiles rests on what her hands are up to.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 01:21 am
I think she just graduated with a degree from Scientology and Tom Cruise just did her.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 01:42 am
lol. Why does she not have eyebrows?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 01:43 am
Eyebrows? Lana Turner also did not have eyebrows.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 01:45 am
(Well, Tom Cruise does have eyebrows but I think we have determined that doesn't denote brains).
0 Replies

goodstein-shapiro

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 07:43 pm
Mona Lisa's Smile
Mona Lisa wasn't the only lady that da Vinci painted that had that particular smile...almost every other lady he painted posted the same smile on her puss.i.e. See Leda. A buddy of his Bernardino Luini also painted women posting the same damned grin.
I think they were just smitten with that type of image...call it pre mannerism.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 08:00 pm
Ray wrote:
lol. Why does she not have eyebrows?

It was the fashion of the times for a lady to pluck her eyebrows and front hairline. A tall brow/forehead was considered elegant.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 08:17 pm
howd they get rid of her moustache?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 10:19 pm
They found out Man Ray had used water soluble paint?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 10:37 pm
There was another thing a while ago about how something about the shading makes our brain process the corners of her mouth as smiling more deeply than they really are/ than they appear when you look straight at them. So it's elusive because the smile is mostly just outside your field of vision -- now you see it (when you're not looking right at it), now you don't (when you are).
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Scientists uncover reason for Mona Lisa's smile
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/16/2024 at 06:03:56