What price happiness?

Reyn

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 08:54 pm
This is an incredibly sad story. I think it's a good example of what happens when a young person comes into a lot of money and is not disciplined enough to handle it.

So much good could have come out of this win. Yes, money doesn't buy happiness, but it does give you a whole range of options that you didn't have before.

When Callie Rogers scooped £1.9m on the lottery in 2003 she was just 16.

The teenager - then the youngest ever player to hit the jackpot - was the envy of the nation and looked set to enjoy a charmed life.

But far from the fairytale rags-to- riches transformation she had envisaged, Callie's millions seemed to bring her nothing but unhappiness, and culminated in a suicide bid last week......

What price happiness?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 272 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Letty

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 10:03 am
It's a case of "too much; too soon", Reyn. How very depressing.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 10:11 am
Article didn't give any specifics to why she's screwed up, other than her peers can't relate to her and are jealous.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 09:31 am
Wonder where Reyn is?
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 09:45 am
Letty wrote:
Wonder where Reyn is?

Freezing in BC! Bloody cold this morning. Our trusty furnace is doing it's thing. :wink:
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 09:51 am
Heh! Heh! Florida does have it compensations, but it's below the norm.

and in response to your original observation, Reyn. I think one of the hardest decisions to make would be the approach-approach type. Some folks just can't handle success of the monetary type.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 01:07 pm
Letty wrote:
Some folks just can't handle success of the monetary type.

Agreed. I think good money management is one of those things that you pick up from your parents.

I've never had any money problems at all. I've had a Visa card since my early 20s, and only on 2 occasions did not pay off the entire balance when the statement came.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 02:05 pm
Well, Reyn, I had to learn money management, dear. My parents taught me nothing. Had I been that young woman who became instantly rich, who knows how I might have handled the situation.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » What price happiness?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 02:16:52