How Important are Business Plans?

werthn

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 12:24 am
Hi all,

I want to start a small online business with another friend. it will be my first so i'm going to approach this like a learning opportunity. i'm very new to this and have never done something like this. someone suggested that the first thing i need to do is write a business plan. my question is: how important are business plans? what are the point of them anyways? who's going to see it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 810 • Replies: 3
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 01:44 am
To fail to plan is to plan to fail. While a business plan may be a component of a funding request or other effort to secure aid or support, its primary function is to define and establish expectations and the means of achieving those expectations. A business plan is first and foremost for the principals of the business so defined; any other application or viewing is purely incidental to the fact that a business plan lays out for you what it is you wish to accomplish and how you intend to accomplish it, down to and including coping with negative circumstances foreseen or otherwise. Think of it as the owners' manual for your enterprise.
0 Replies

JoeDrumma

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 11:40 pm
One good reason: If you ever want to get any kind of financing, you'll need a business plan. Try this site:
http://www.quickmba.com/

I recommend you start with the "Entrepreneurship" link and read most of the material. You can then try "Marketing" then perhaps "Strategy". This website is a great primer for someone in your position.

--Joe D. --
0 Replies

Instigate

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 12:50 am
The first thing you need to do is take some micro-economics classes and, if possible, interogate an established business man.
0 Replies