Career crossroad

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 03:06 pm
I've found myself at a crossroad.

I've been at my current position for 1 year, 9 months. First outside sales job. When I first wanted to leave selling cars, my goal was to go into the medical device sales field. I had one shot, but didn't get it. Other than that, they require outside b2b sales experience.

My job is far from an entry level sales job, and this year I was a top producer in the company. Reason I'm pointing this out isn't for bragging, just that I'm confident I could finally get into medical if I wanted because of it.

Here's the thing: my company is awesome. Growing, going public in a week, and there's probably a ton of opportunity. Hardly any competition, and they're THE leader in the field. CEO is a f'n genius. We've bought out a few other companies since I've started, and they'll buy more, which will add to our products. Company has about tripled in size since I've started(who wants a stock tip?).

Why I'm thinking of leaving: instant gratification. I want to continue the income I made this year. They changed our payplan for '06, and it SUCKS. There's nothing added, just taken away. Nobody's happy with it. The one product we've added....well the product itself doesn't suck, but I don't think it's going to be successful. Which means I'm not confident I can come close to matching my '05 income. Plus I'm nowhere close to qualified yet for a sales management position.

I'm thinking if I want to make a jump, this is a good time, because of the year I had. If I'm not a top producer next year, then there's nothing to put on my resume! Kind of when I left selling cars: my final year I enjoyed a $15K increase in commissioned income over my previous year, and used that as arsenal when job hunting. Now I can say I'm in top X percent..led my region...ect.

Do I stay in the hope for opportunity past '06, or do I try to use this job as a stepping stone into medical? If I leave I'm afraid this company is going to explode and I missed out.

Ehhhh...does anyone with any similar business/sales experience have any advice??? Or should I just go flip a coin?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 891 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Lash

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 05:34 pm
Obviously, I don't know anything about your business or much about business in general--but the logic makes me suspicious--and thinking that you'd do better to jump while you still have your cache.

If they are doing so well--why the reduction in the 06 payscale?

What innovative, intelligent corporate structure CUTS their top producer's incentive?

(Ignorant questions...I'll watch to see if I can learn a bit about business.)

Anyway, sounds like you'll do great where ever you go.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 07:01 pm
Not so much a reduction, than a change for the worse. They're not cutting salaries, or taking away the opportunity to make more money, it's uncapped potential.

I just think it's going to be harder to get there again. Unless this new product is popular, but I really don't think it will be. Which is kind of my basis for negative thoughts on future income. Salespeople are typically never completely satisfied with their incomes.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 08:57 pm
Before taking a new opportunity in consideration, I would
talk to management and tell them of your concerns and
your plans.

Chances are they might make accommodations
to keep you which would be of benefit to you. It's always
wiser to advance within the corporation as opposed
to leaving for another company and taking the risk,
especially since your present employer seems to be
very successful.

You have nothing to lose in talking to them.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 09:11 pm
You're right, CJ.

I'm going to talk to my sales manager tomorrow. I highly doubt they'll do anything however. Who knows.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 11:41 pm
Sorry, Slappy, but I don't really have any advice.
0 Replies