10-Year-Old Girl Goes for Joy Ride in N.M.

Reyn

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 01:54 pm
Here's yet another one of those "kid grabs car keys and goes for a joyride while parents aren't around" stories. Mad Mad

What's the matter here is that parents don't feel it's important enough to safely secure car keys, just like you would with a gun.

Again, this child was lucky she didn't get hurt or killed, or do the same to someone else.

More has to be done to make parents accountable.

By the way, is it legal to leave a 10 year old child home alone?

10-Year-Old Girl Goes for Joy Ride in N.M.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,063 • Replies: 20
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 02:03 pm
what the story doesn't tell you, is that this poor lamb wa sa law abiding, chuch going, religious pamphlet handing out, saint of a girl before her encounter with a strange cowboy described as being elitist with chipped beef stains on his shirt
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 02:03 pm
Re: 10-Year-Old Girl Goes for Joy Ride in N.M.
Reyn wrote:
More has to be done to make parents accountable.

I agree, parents need to be 100% accountable for their kids actions. But most people don't think about car keys. I think that was just a stupid kid...

Anyway, it's not all parents fault, you say you want to hold them more accountable but you frown on them when they beat their kids senseless for doing something stupid. We need to reintroduce the belt back into the family. And these single mothers who think they can raise your kids without a father around, you are part of the problem.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 02:04 pm
Ah, I see.....the penny drops...... Idea
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 02:22 pm
Well, dys probably wouldn't have shot her.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 02:28 pm
That is actually a fear that went through my mind, that the parent might beat her. What a cruel idea, a cruel way to teach children.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 02:39 pm
djjd62 wrote:
what the story doesn't tell you, is that this poor lamb wa sa law abiding, chuch going, religious pamphlet handing out, saint of a girl before her encounter with a strange cowboy described as being elitist with chipped beef stains on his shirt

Exactly
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 02:48 pm
We used to steal the car every night when my parents went to sleep. Then we started stealing the car driving it to the budweiser factory and using the stolen car to steal kegs of beer. One night we tapped the keg and passed out in the backyard and forgot to put the car back.

My step dad woke up and found us passed out in the back yard with a keg of beer and beer everywhere the car moved and the keys in my pocket. He's a HUGE Vietnam vet. He picked up the keg which was still 3/4 full and throw it over the fence and half way across the street.(I SWEAR)

I won't tell you the rest but we were cured.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 02:51 pm
someone should call Peta about that poor cats experience.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 04:02 pm
roverroad wrote:
And these single mothers who think they can raise your kids without a father around, you are part of the problem.

Presumably, the reverse would also hold true, if it was a single father?

I don't think, by the way, that a parent needs to "beat a kid senseless" in order to instill a sense of responsible behaviour. Certainly no belt is required.
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 05:25 pm
Good thing I don't have kids huh? Well, I wouldn't do that anyway, but I do think kids are becoming more and more arrogant because of a lack of physical disiplin.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 05:29 pm
Teaching a child not to be arrogant (but still have plenty of self worth) doesn't call for belting.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 05:37 pm
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 05:47 pm
Thanks for that story, Edgar.

7 years old! The children in these kinds of stories get younger and younger. What makes it so much more stupid is the fact that the father was directly involved! Mad

The road is no place for these silly games.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 05:58 pm
According to THIS, the age for getting a driving license in South Dakota is 14.

That's the youngest age in any US state. In my opinion, that's too young.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 06:02 pm
14 is entirely too young, except to drive on a farm or something.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 06:16 pm
I was rather surprised to read that, as most states it is 16.

At least on a farm, you're not on a public road. Although, farm machinery is nothing to play around with, too. The child should be taught proper safety in and around such equipment.

Many tragedies have occurred on the farm as well.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 07:08 pm
I was speaking of driving perhaps a pick up, not something overly dangerous.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 07:27 pm
i lived for a few years in a small town where the nightly routine involved going to the bar and getting as drunk as you could

one night this kid comes in the back door, grabs his old man grabs the keys and heads out side, come to find out the mother sent him down to collect the father and drive hime home, the kid was 12, and this was about midnight, apparently it happened a couple of times a month
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 07:32 pm
Well, yeah, some kids are more responsible than their parents.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » 10-Year-Old Girl Goes for Joy Ride in N.M.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 05:18:41