Help for the feeble-minded: Internet shopping.

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 06:43 pm
I confess to being a horrible shopper. I have only one thing left on my Christmas list and so I thought I would just pick it up at Target today since I was going to be there anyway.

I didn't count on the fact that asking a question or two would automatically make me a moron not worthy of the time it took to answer me.

I didn't buy it. I came home and called the game store in my neigborhood - they had part of what I needed but not the other part.

Mr. B suggested E-Bay. Ummm.... screw that. After spending about an hour sorting through the used stuff and the stuff I'm not interested in trying to find an adequate description and the needed accessory I just gave up.

So I thought I'd check out Amazon. I thought I recalled that there was some Amazon/A2K connection where blah blah blah but I can't figure it out and while I see that Amazon has the stuff I want I can't figure out how to do it through A2K or if it even matters or what.

Help me!

Here is what I want: A Nintendo Game Cube. I'd like to have that Mario cart bundle that comes with the Mario games and the extra controller.

Or maybe the Poekeman game bundle because that might be better for Mo than Mario. I don't freaking know.

I also want the little adapter deal so that he can play his Gameboy games throught the doohickey.

Everywhere I've looked it is the same price for both things: $150.00

I'm not an idiot!

Why can't I figure this crap out?

Am I wrong about the Amazon/A2K thing?

Help!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 964 • Replies: 16
No top replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 06:50 pm
You are definitely not an idiot.

I clicked on portal but couldn't find amazon listed with consumer electronics or toys. But maybe it's in there somewhere.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 06:50 pm
The A2K link is on the "Home" page at the bottom of the left hand column.

http://www.able2know.com/

As for video games....I'm no help.

Have you Googled or Froogled?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 06:52 pm
Apparently I'm the idiot.

I think if you click on shop (right next to portal) that is actually amazon.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 06:54 pm
Try this http://www.able2shop.com/shop-79845.html
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 06:57 pm
If you don't find it there, just go to yahoo shopping, and search all catagories.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 07:09 pm
Thanks!

I have froogled and googled til I'm boggled.

Internet retailers are missing a big boat with people like me. I already know what I want. If they'd make it just a wee bit easier they'd have me hooked.

I started to just go ahead and order through Amazon but I felt kind of bad about it. I'm not sure how A2K benefits from my using the link here but I understand that they do and since I enjoy A2K I thought I'd try it.

I looked throught the "Shop" area and they had part of what I need but not the other part.

Internet shopping is not all it's cracked up to be.

The first time I ever did it was a few years ago when I ordered a bunch of bracelets for my many neices. I got about half of them with a not saying the rest were on back order.

Uhhh... once I get the stuff I still have to wrap it up and send it to several different cities. Back order doesn't really work thank you very much.

This year I ordered some stuff from the Discovery Channel. It kept kicking back my order because of some security code on my credit card. I was putting in the right number but it wouldn't take it. I had to call and go through the order over the phone. The lady was very nice and gave me the free shipping reserved for internet orders since I had indeed tried to do it that way.

Now with this thing!

Grrrrr.

Honestly I don't want to go to one place for this and another area of your site for that when it is actually all the same damn thing.

I feel a bit better after that rant.

I'm going to try the Amazon link from the Home page now......
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 07:10 pm
hmmmmm
there's an a2k link on the home page <that Noddy linked to>
I know there's some way the 'connection' is made
mutter mutter

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=14425#14425

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=215121#215121

looks like that's the one
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 07:15 pm
As I understand it, A2K gets a teeny-tiny bit of the $$ you spend at Amazon if you use any of the links from any A2K page to get thru to Amazon. The one on the home page, any of the ones on the Portal (lyrics/CDs or books), or from the Shop section. Good luck! Let us know how it goes. Sounds like Mo will be having a high-tech Christmas.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 07:32 pm
Yeesh!

I found the Amazon link and went to the store and started placing my order but now I don't know if I need the $50 adapter or the $10 adapter.

Really their descriptions should be made up for people who are paying for this stuff, not the people who want this stuff.

Honetly there wasn't anything that Mo was overly nutty about this year. He likes to play with his gameboy so I thought this gamecube thing would be fun.

I really haven't bought any presents for him yet so this will be about it. I have a few stocking stuffer type things but that's it. Christmas is not a big deal around here
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 07:34 pm
Given Mo's enthusiasm I'd spring for the more expensive adapter, but I'm a wicked woman who thinks the worst of children.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 07:35 pm
Thanks eBeth. I just checked those links and it looks like ordering through the A2K link is appreciated. They should publicize that a bit more, especially this time of year.

I'm going to ask a question to the gamers to find out what I need but I'll be sure to order through the A2K link!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2005 08:53 am
Thanks on behalf of A2K.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2005 09:32 am
Done deal. I figured out what all I needed and ordered through the A2K link.

Jes, it might be worthwile to remind everyone of this! I recalled it from a long time ago.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2005 09:35 am
Re: Help for the feeble-minded: Internet shopping.
boomerang wrote:
I confess to being a horrible shopper. I have only one thing left on my Christmas list and so I thought I would just pick it up at Target today since I was going to be there anyway.

I didn't count on the fact that asking a question or two would automatically make me a moron not worthy of the time it took to answer me.

I didn't buy it. I came home and called the game store in my neigborhood - they had part of what I needed but not the other part.

Mr. B suggested E-Bay.

So I thought I'd check out Amazon.

Morning Boomy

I'm glad you pretty much got your problem solved (I think), and there were so many people to help.

I do some internet shopping, but almost all of the time it's something I know a particular site has got, and I know what I want, like florists, artwork, seeds, etc

To kinda just take this in a different direction as far as your experience, I'm wondering about a few things

You said this is a gift for xmas, so you've got a couple of weeks.

That thing that happened to you at Target? For me, the buck would have stopped right there. I'm all into only spending my money at places that appreciate my business, but I've also got to realize that the kid behind the game counter isn't going to be there in 2 months, and doesn't care about Targets profits.

As far as technology, I am a complete idiot, and frankly, I like it that way Laughing
I have no idea what an x box or whatevere it's called is, I would have absolutely no idea how to begin to work an ipod, I've never played a home video game, and on the odd occassion I want to watch a movie, I have to stand in front of the dvd player for a few minutes to even find the power button.
Funny though, I'm great with stuff like this, or researching info, etc.
Left/brained, Right/brained I guess.

About a decade ago I went through a real tough time having to talk with people when it involved techy stuff. I felt stupid and apologetic that I was taking up their time.
I mean, how could I ask a question, if I wasn't even sure what I wanted to know?

Some people who are supposed to be there to help you can be like sharks who smell blood in the water.

Then, one day, I just had an epiphany.
It was after I made a phone call to a store, was really careful to have written down my question so I would get it right, carefully explained, and for my efforts I got sneered at by someone who probably still lived at home with their parents.

Some dam broke open and I remember saying something like - Why are you trying to make me feel stupid and not helping me? You work there and you're supposed to be courteous and answer my questions and thank me for spending my money there!

I'm confidant that the person at Target would have helped me after we had a 30 second, lowed voiced conversation. I specialize in attitude adjustments. No profanity, no insults, just laying it on the line how it's gonna be. Like I said, I understand not patronizing a store who treats me badly, but this person wouldn't be enough to keep me from getting what I wanted.

The game store you called that didn't have the 2nd part? Couldn't they have ordered it for you?
If they wanted your money, they would have gotten it.

I know you're not a pushover, like Noddy often sez "hold your dominian"

You don't have to be loud or rude, just firm.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2005 10:54 am
Oh I'm sure the Target guy would have helped me if I'd been persistent but the problem with stores like Target is that people don't really know much about what they're selling.

It was more of a "why do you want that?" sort of you're such a moron thing.

That's why I called the game store. Those guys do know what they're talking about and they did offer to call around to see if anyone had it but they could not have it transferred to their store so I would have to pick it up elsewhere.

There is a camera store here in Portland that is so guilty of the whole customer as moron thing. I won't buy anything from them -- ever. I was looking into buying a new style of lights for my studio and I had a LOT of questions because those things are really expensive. They treated me like a moron. I bought my lights elsewhere and swore never to grace that store with my presence again.

And I haven't.

And I won't.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2005 10:58 am
Good For You!
0 Replies