Money You Hated to Spend/Turned Out to Be Money Well Spent!

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 01:18 pm
On one of the threads, we were talking about IRS audits. I had mentioned that about 30 years ago, my husband and I had an audit. We ended up paying $300-, but we learned exactly what the IRS wanted, as far as documentation. We have never been questioned by them since.

When I was a teenager, a handsome young man came into my office and sold me $75- worth of magazines, that I really didn't want. This was in the late 1950's, and $75 was a LOT of money then. It was the best 75 bucks that I have ever spent. No one has EVER sold me anything that I didn't want since.

Anybody else have stories of money that you didn't want to spend, that turned out to be money well spent?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,489 • Replies: 8
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 01:29 pm
Gee, Phoenix, I think people will refrain from telling how "stupid" we are. chuckle, chuckle..... We're all guilty of spending money foolishly. I know, I've done it too many times to count..... My short memory protects me. I think another interesting aspect of money is how we spend it in inconsistent ways. I've mentioned this in another forum, but it's worth sharing here. When I was in London last month, I had no qualms about spending $100 to go see a show, but refused to pay .79c a pound for banana this past week at the super market. Wink I watch prices very closely, and buy many items at bargain prices - even when I don't need another shoe or another shirt or trousers. Wink I wonder where we learn these habits? c.i.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 01:38 pm
c.i.- Two of my most favorite words in the English language are "SALE" and "CLOSEOUT". I am not a cheap person, but I do so love a bargain!
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 03:37 pm
Geesh I just spent $699.00 on a break job yesterday - ouch!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 03:42 pm
I can remember once buying a great used car for about 100 bucks more than that!
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 03:46 pm
I felt like I was a money trap - with repair creep....
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 03:51 pm
Husker- I know- Car repair is such a blind item. There have been so many exposes on how car repair shops "take" their customers.

I had 2 Toyotas on long warrantees. So long as the warrantee was in force, the dealership could never find out what was wrong with the cars. As soon as the warrantees went off................zingo. The dealership was finding things wrong left and right.

We wanted new cars, and liked the Toyota, but we did not want to do business with the dealer. So we bought Hondas!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 04:01 pm
husker, Your problem is you spent it on a "break" job, and not a "brake" job. So you got broken. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 12:14 am
The best spent money that I was unsure about was the money it cost me to move to Canada. I've never been happier and it is truly the best investment I ever made :-D

CI
LOL!
0 Replies