Text-messaging teen driver involved in fatal accident

Reyn

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 06:46 pm
Text messaging while driving? It seems to me yakking on a cell phone while driving is distracting enough.

In my opinion, any accident caused by the use of phones while driving should carry a stiffer automatic minimum sentence.

A teenage driver accused of text messaging behind the wheel and hitting a cyclist was charged with a misdemeanor, authorities said.

The 17-year-old was charged with careless driving causing death, according to the Douglas County Sheriff's Office. The charge carries a maximum sentence of one year in prison.......

Text-messaging teen driver involved in fatal accident
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 396 • Replies: 8
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 06:49 pm
I believe phone talking while driving should be limited to emergency use only.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 09:09 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
I believe phone talking while driving should be limited to emergency use only.

Agreed, but it better be damn important! Mad
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 09:20 pm
I almost got wiped out on the freeway by a phone talking woman a while back. We were doing eighty when she just veered into my lane. I had to jamb a foot on the brake and move to the next lane. I saw in the headlights she had a phone against her ear and tunnel vision. She took the next exit, and my wife said she could still see the phone against her ear way down on the feeder road. I honestly believe she had not a clue how close we all came to death that night.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 09:45 pm
I can well imagine. I really get worried when someone is on a phone behind me in traffic. They get so wrapped up in their conversation that anything can happen.

What's even scarier, is when folks do it when there's snow and ice on the road. How can one possibly have the best reactions to situations like that if you are otherwise engaged?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 10:46 pm
Eating, drinking, and changing the radio station should be regulated, too.

And what was that last text message he sent? "Hey, lets all hook up tonight at auuuughh!"
0 Replies

fonzatbc

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 03:51 pm
Texting is the same
If you get into the argument of texting, then talking on the cell phone, then fidgeting with the radio, you can also argue talking to another person in the car or looking anywhere off the road or anything that people do in a car usually that has nothing to do with keeping your eyes on the road. I believe that Texting should have stiffer penalties, but i don't see the big deal of talking ont he cell phone. At any rate, you always have to be careful when you drive, especially of the other drivers on the road.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 03:54 pm
I do it all the time (talk on the phone) but would understand 100% if they made it illegal to do so.

It is distracting, and if you are talking away, not listening, you could miss something...like an ambulance that you almost broadside because you went though the intersetion. (saw this happen last year) The woman hung up and sat there for a moment, a little dumbfounded.

Bet she doesn't talk on the phone in the car anymore.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 08:24 pm
Thanks for your honesty, Bella. It's quite refreshing to hear.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Text-messaging teen driver involved in fatal accident
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 12:15:33