Best..........Christmas..........Lights..........EVER!

DrewDad

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 01:45 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
Seriously DD, hey you ever seen that house on Robert E. Lee? Now THAT's a great x-mas display. It's one one those houses on the side of the hill, right on the curve that takes you up the steepest part.

No, but I'll have to add it to our lights cruise. Along with 38th 1/2 street and the Trail of Lights (although the last has undergone a disappointing turn, lately).
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 01:52 pm
I just wasn't impressed.

Honestly.

I would have preferred something static and with more color rather than that freaky strobe effect.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 01:59 pm
It seemed more ET than spiritual, but what the heck.

But how do we know that it's a real house with real lights, and not some computer-generated cleverness?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 02:01 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
But how do we know that it's a real house with real lights, and not some computer-generated cleverness?

That's a good question for just about everything we see on video nowadays.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 02:08 pm
DrewDad wrote:
Chai Tea wrote:
Seriously DD, hey you ever seen that house on Robert E. Lee? Now THAT's a great x-mas display. It's one one those houses on the side of the hill, right on the curve that takes you up the steepest part.

No, but I'll have to add it to our lights cruise. Along with 38th 1/2 street and the Trail of Lights (although the last has undergone a disappointing turn, lately).

I meant 37th street.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 02:13 pm
It's kind of sad isn't it that we even question video anymore? So many things can be so manipulated. I'm just glad I don't live on that street! I could probably handle it for about an hour. I did appreciate the work that obviously went into it (that is if it is real :wink: ).
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 02:19 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
It seemed more ET than spiritual, but what the heck.

Well, Ho Ho Ho to you, too. :wink:
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 02:26 pm
Wow!

I agree with what others have said about neighbors -- I hope he's out in the boonies somewhere, nice and isolated. But in and of itself, I love it!!! Boomer recently posted some band's video, some dorky guys doing a dance routine all in one long take, and I love them both for about the same reason -- it's something schmaltzy and crass on the surface but it's taken to such an incredible level of craftsmanship! So much effort, so much precision! It's like, it were done a tenth as well it'd be crap, done half as well it'd be more offensive crap ("these idiots put actual effort into this crap") -- done THAT well, it's transcendant.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 02:42 pm
I love it! transcendantal crap! Laughing
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 02:49 pm
DrewDad wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
Chai Tea wrote:

I meant 37th street.

Oh yeah, we went to 37th St. a few of years ago, now THAT was really something.

For those who aren't fortunate to live in Austin :wink: , 37th st is in a middle of a neighborhood where everybody (well, 99%) agrees to decorate their houses to the MAX!

The year we went, someone had a volcano that erupted on a regular basis (christmas in hawaii I suppose) and this one house had a campground of lights set up, complete with a blue electric stream, with little electric fish in it.

What's some of the new stuff DD?

Let me see if I can google some pictures.....
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 02:54 pm
I like the guy that just mounts racks of lights straight from the boxes.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 02:55 pm
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid6/p2abc49cdfbb7f6cc107e5f165ec79493/fe6de171.jpg
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 08:36 am
It's real: http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2005512050331

25,000 lights dance to music
Display timed to a broadcast soundtrack

By Jessica Brown
Enquirer staff writer

The Enquirer/Carrie Cochran

The Williams family, Carson, Sherry and daughters, Amanda, 10 (left), and Brittney, 11, will be visited by the "Today" show this morning and "Inside Edition" in the afternoon.

RELATED LINKS
• Download video of the light show

DEERFIELD TWP. - Is it Christmas overkill or an ultra-cool holiday display?

Anyone who drives past the Williams house on Winding Creek Court will have an opinion.

Carson Williams' two-story home is decorated top to bottom with 25,000 Christmas lights - but that's just the beginning.

He used software to program them to 12 minutes of Christmas music.

The result is a dancing display of synchronized lights that he says you have to see to believe.

"We had about 300 cars on Friday," said Carson, 40.

---------------------------------------------------------

The music is Trans-Siberian Orchestra.

I'd like to know the artist on the second video, however.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 08:49 am
Bear and I know the guy that does the lights for Trans Siberian - Their Christmas show is phenominal if anyone gets a chance to see them.

I would have guessed it was his house!

I love it! (As long as it isn't MY neighbor)
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 08:54 am
The lights bother you or the music? The music is actually transmitted via low-power FM. No blasting music.....
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 08:52 pm
The lights are great and the music superb.

However, even low power FM would get obnoxious if it played over and over again.

Driving home tonight, it appears our new neighborhood has some rather enthusiastic Christmas decorators. Three really tacky / sloppy ones about a block away. Luckily it is balanced by the remaining homes that chose simple white lights.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 10:08 pm
I have a cousin who is insane with his christmas lights like that. Well, not like THAT, but seriously, he actually builds a structure over his driveway to make like a light tunnel to his garage, and it usually takes him over three months or so just to set them all up. He starts around labor day or so. What a sickie.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 10:14 pm
I had a neighbor in Brooklyn who went crazy one year and draped everything in lights, set up bobbing reindeer, nodding elves and a waving Santa. Sometime at the end of January he got his electric bill - the following year it was pretty dim over at his house.
0 Replies

LoneHaranger

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 02:10 pm
Quote:
I like the guy that just mounts racks of lights straight from the boxes.

Anyone who takes the easy way out can't be all bad!
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 02:19 pm
Some of the folks on 37th street put up clothespins so that you can donate a buck or two to their electric bills....
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 06/26/2024 at 04:08:08