Novels about baseball/Your Favorites?

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 08:26 am
Don't know what is going on with me, I'm not even a baseball fan, and I won't go into specifics because it's not important and I'd probably just be chided like in the offline world.

I think my Great Uncle Alfie (my grandmother's brother) did it, and for some reason I've been reading all these novels about baseball.

"The Natural" by Bernard Malamud (he actually wanted me to read "The Assistant" which I did recently, after he passed away)--anyway that's all it all started.

Then I read "The Curious Case of Sid Finch" by George Plimpton, a bit bizarre and paled, compared to "The Natural."

Now reading "Shoeless Joe" by WP Kinsella. Had no idea the film "Field of Dreams" was based on a book--happened to flick by a "Page to Screen" special on Bravo and made quick note on reading list. Found it yesterday at small hometown library, with dear musty book smell and collection jar begging for money because funds have been cut. Gray haired librarian (who does some sports writing) told me it always makes me cry. More than halfway through, and pretty much enchanted by it.

What are your favorite baseball novels?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,705 • Replies: 2
No top replies

larry richette

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 11:17 am
A very strange baseball novel was written by Philip Roth, called THE GREAT AMERICAN NOVEL...about an imaginary team in an imaginary league. It isn't great but the first part is pretty funny.
0 Replies

edithdoll

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 09:41 am
Okay thanks, I will make a note of that one.
0 Replies