Homolka now free without conditions

Reyn

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 12:29 am
There had to be a judge out there somewhere that would do it! Mad

A Quebec Superior Court judge on Wednesday lifted all restrictions imposed on Karla Homolka, saying there is not enough evidence to justify them......

Homolka now free without conditions
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 792 • Replies: 18
No top replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 01:17 am
This is truly appalling. She got a sweetheart of a deal and then it was proven she fully participated in the rape, torture, and murder of a child.

She can now roam at will? This seems to be one time the justice system failed.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 04:14 am
Momma Angel wrote:
This is truly appalling. She got a sweetheart of a deal and then it was proven she fully participated in the rape, torture, and murder of a child.

She can now roam at will? This seems to be one time the justice system failed.

Excuse me? I'm astonished at the number of people who want to jump all over this woman who, NOTE WELL, served her entire sentence. The sentence was handed down in complete accordance with the law.

She has done her time as required by law. What she participated in was horrendous and it's up to her to do the best she can for the rest of her life. Leave the woman alone, for Christ's sake; in this case, that isn't a profanity.

There have been many many worse cases, some happening even today, where people responsible for the murders of tens of thousands just waltz on with their lives.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 01:54 pm
JTT,

If she had gotten a fair sentence and served it, i'd be fine with it. She was given a special deal. Once the deal was set video of her actually committing the crime and proving her statement false was found. But, because the deal had been set, it couldn't be changed. She got the deal on false pretenses. She did not deserve the deal she got in the first place. She LIED and still has no remorse.

She has yet to show remorse for her crime. I'm not going to go out and carry signs or anything against her. I am just stating an opinion on something.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 08:16 pm
JTT wrote:
Excuse me? I'm astonished at the number of people who want to jump all over this woman who, NOTE WELL, served her entire sentence. The sentence was handed down in complete accordance with the law.

She has done her time as required by law. What she participated in was horrendous and it's up to her to do the best she can for the rest of her life. Leave the woman alone, for Christ's sake; in this case, that isn't a profanity.

There have been many many worse cases, some happening even today, where people responsible for the murders of tens of thousands just waltz on with their lives.

bravo, i have no use for homolka, but as you say, she accepted a deal, held true to her end of the conditions and now has the right to walk free
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 08:36 pm
Actually, she did not hold true to her end of the deal. Her end of the deal included "the fact that she had not participated in the murder." Videotaped evidence was later found proving she lied.

Remember Mel Ignato? He killed Brenda Sue Shaffer. He was found not guilty. Well, photographic evidence was later found in his home proving he raped, tortured, and murdered her.

But, because of the double jeopardy law, he walked. I think that the deal with Holmolka should have been recinded the minute they had evidence that she lied.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 08:57 pm
What is natural to "the flesh" (the carnal nature) when we have been hurt or abused or insulted is to strike back, to plot revenge, or to simmer in bitterness. This is "only human". But God requires forgiveness, else He will NOT forgive us. If we are unwilling--or unable--to forgive, then there is no use asking God for what He has told us He will not give. For believers, dealing with the sin of unforgiveness is first priority.

Mark 11:25 (NIV) "And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive him, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins."

http://www.acts17-11.com/forgive.html
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 09:05 pm
JTT,

This woman has done nothing to me to forgive her for. We are just discussing a situation and our opinions of that situation.

If a child molester served his complete sentence and was released into your neighborhood, would you be concerned if that person had shown no remorse for prior acts?

It's one thing to forgive someone for something they may have done to you, but it is quite another to be completely ignorant of the fact that just because you forgive someone, it certainly doesn't mean they won't do it again. I am not saying Karla is going to go out and commit another crime. Hopefully, she won't. I pray she doesn't.

But, don't you think part of the responsibility has to rest with our own discernment?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 12:44 am
Momma Angel wrote:
JTT, ... But, don't you think part of the responsibility has to rest with our own discernment?

It's precisely this "discernment" that concerns me so. There is nothing so abominable to my mind as those who would mistreat children in any fashion.

But what kind of society do we have when we continue to exact more than the pound of flesh taken at sentencing? I'm not suggesting that these are simple issues, but how is a person fresh from prison supposed to rehabilitate when society seeks to continue their punishment.

The next time these people offend and when and if they are convicted, that becomes the time to consider past misdeeds. But that is the only time.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 09:59 am
JTT,

So, if a child sexual offender were to be freed into your neighborhood, wouldn't you want to know it? Would you just accept that they have served their sentence and trust that they wouldn't do it again or would you take steps to make sure (all within the law)? I strictly speak of working through the law. I don't believe in vigilante justice.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 12:34 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Actually, she did not hold true to her end of the deal. Her end of the deal included "the fact that she had not participated in the murder." Videotaped evidence was later found proving she lied.

i'm pretty sure that's not true, the video taped evidence didn't confirm that either one of them killed the girls, it did however cast some doubt on her claims to be a less than willing participant in the sexual assaults (though she claimed being a battered spouse and fear of her husband led her to participate)
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 02:54 pm
djjd62,

This is how the prosecution opened it's case on Paul Bernado:

"Prosecutor Ray Houlahan opened the trial with a full-day story of Karla's life as a victim of the dominating sadist, a brain-washed, frightened accomplice to the most degrading criminal acts."

It's true she may not have actually killed anyone, but her deal was that she would tell the absolute truth. She did not tell the truth. She said she was forced to do these things. The videotapes proved she was not forced. In fact, she was enjoying herself. She was not the victim.

You can read the complete story here:

http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial_killers/notorious/bernardo/index_1.html
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 02:59 pm
a high school friend of mine covered the trial for a toronto paper and then wrote a book about it, i'm well aware of the in and outs of the situation

by all accounts she seems to be a willing participant, but she also claimed to act that way out of fear, the sad fact is we will never know the whole truth
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 03:05 pm
djjd62,

Can you tell me the name of that friend? I have read nearly every book I can find on this. I would really like to know if I have read that one. If I haven't I will and if I have, I may read it again.

Yes, by all accounts she seems to be a willing participant and yes, she claimed it was done out of fear. You are right that we will probably never know the whole truth also. With that, I can surely agree.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 06:59 pm
Deadly Innocence
by Scott Burnside and Alan Cairns

i went to high school with scott

it's interesting, he married a woman who worked for our national broadcaster the cbc, she covered the trial for tv and he covered the trial for newspaper, tough times i imagine
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 07:04 pm
Yes, I did read that one! Excellently done I thought.

I cannot imagine being on the jury in a trial like that. I am sure it left a lasting impression on all those involved.

I haven't read or seen much about Paul, her husband. Have you?
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 07:16 pm
no, there has been little press coverage of him since he went to prison, and no statements from him or lawyers concernin karla
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 07:23 pm
as an interesting aside, the mahaffey girl was by all accounts abit of a problem child, lots of curfew violations and in fact the night she was abducted she had been to a party and came home late to find the house locked and no way in (as she had been warned would happen the next time she broke the rules), she went to a donut shop to call some friends and it was never seen alive again, whenever there is an incident that brings forth statements from the victims families, the mahafeys always seem to be the most vocal, perhaps an attempt to soothe a guilty conscience, who knows, i imagine they've played the night in question over in their heads more than afew times
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 07:30 pm
Oh wow. I can only imagine how they must have and do feel. But, I don't think anyone really does believe it can really happen to them. It's a sad thing.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Homolka now free without conditions
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 12:26:40