What did you pay for your Christmas tree?

Noddy24

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 01:20 pm
Quote:
darned tree is some 50 feet tall now...anybody got a ladder I could borrow? Or maybe a construction crane.)

Not that you'd go to any trouble for the holidays?
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 01:29 pm
I might...after all I have these thousand feet of garlands and 4 crates of ornaments... I bought them last December a few days after Christmas...thought they might be useful someday. Very Happy ...and they were at a mere 25% of the original cost.

(But I still will not use lights on the tree...seems wrong somehow)
0 Replies

Misspatatra

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 02:38 pm
At school, we organized with my pupils a christmas tree sale (any mistake ?Confused Embarrassed) ...with 3 kinds of trees (sorry but i don't know equivalence for US sizes) from 10 € to 25 € . i think 1 euro is approximately 1USD...
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 03:27 pm
Haven't snagged this year's Castle Timber Christmas tree yet - will soon. It'll cost a treck into the woods, a little saw work, and a treck back home. Following the festivity season, it'll be a back-yard shelter/refuge for birds, and eventually it'll wind up part of the Springtime-cleanup-brush-and-yard-debris pile that is the centerpiece of the Memorial Day Weekend Summer Kickoff Bonfire.
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 09:39 pm
$70 - $80. Christmas season begins for us with heading out as a family in search of the perfect tree. We made a big deal out of the Christmas tree search when our kids were growing up, so now it's become a family tradition.

We have tree ornaments and decorations made by my mother and grandmother dating back to the depression and WWII years, when money was tight ... no, non-existent, and ornaments that my mother and I made when I was a little girl. There's ornaments my mother specially chose and put on all our gifts, in lieu of bows, and the ornaments we've collected year by year, over 33 years of marriage.
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 09:47 pm
We have a "Let's Chip In" program. Drop the tree off at any one of a number of locations throughout the city and the resultant chips are used in city parks, or you can return in early January and pick up chips for your own use.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 03:04 pm
I stopped at the local Farm Store for apples. Their trees were $20-$30--and very nice trees they were.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 05:15 pm
Hmmmm...I have a dinky little loosely (VERY loosely) woven little abstract one, made from basket cane and painted gold. It is mebbe 3 feet high.

I use it when we have christmas at my place, as buffet table centrepiece, or put up on another piece of furniture. It looks cute decorated and stuff.

It hasn't come out this year, cos I am going away for christmas.

It cost maybe $5? (I got it late on christmas eve one year)

I live in an apartment, which overlooks two very main roads, and one year I saw some stunningly bad taste trees, and I really wanted one.

They were greeny, but had fibre optic fibres distributed generously through the fake pine needles, and they turned hosts of deeply glowing colours.

I thought it would be lots of fun to have one so that the motorists stranded at the lights could enjoy it/enjoy loathing it!

I actually looked last night when I was christmas shopping to see if there were any this year, but they seem to have been a momentary aberration. Drat!!!
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 05:24 pm
Hey, Deb! I saw one of these in a store the other day and had a similar OMG moment. It was truly awful. Maybe you could find one on eBay?

http://static.flickr.com/1/2502061_72ef9e645e_m.jpg
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 05:33 pm
No!!!

The ones loved were truly luxurious and magnificent!!!!

Deeply, richly, needled.....tall, stately, and glowing!!

AND they had a neat, covered, stand...made to look kind of like a half barrel, to hide the fibre optic thingy.

I really did love them.

I kind of DO tawdry sometimes.

Hey...I saw a fabulous table yesterday.

It had four high heeled legs, and it was great.

I nearly bought the damned thing.
0 Replies

seibentage

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 06:51 pm
Well sice i can not have a real christmas tree i bought a fake one that cost about $130. Its seven feet tall. I wanted the 12 footer but i did not want to have to put the lights on that sucker. So i stuck with a seven foot tree.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 06:56 pm
Why can't you have a real tree?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 07:34 pm
Oh my gosh!

mckinzie!?

Is that really you?

I haven't seen you in forever!

Those are the kind of traditions that I love and that I would like to start and to have for Mo.

My family always had this decrepit star on the top of our tree. Mom bought a new one one year and we all cried and moaned until the old star was given it's rightful place. My brother has the star now, the dirty rat. He's Catholic so I guess he deserves it more than us apatheists.

I totally dig the Hello Kitty tree and think it would surely rival dlowan's stranded motorist marvel!

Noddy, you are a woman after my own heart. I like apples better than Christmas trees. I have never in my life bought a Christmas tree but this year I'm thinking..... maybe.......
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 07:37 pm
Hi seibentage and welcome to A2K - I don't think I've bumped into you before.

I suppose a 12 foot tree would not fit into the submarine and that is why you went with the 7 foot?

That is probably why you can't have a real tree either... hummmm?

(Pay attention, Sturgis!)
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 09:36 pm
Hey, Boomerang, it is indeed. I pass through A2K occasionally. Wish I had more time ...

I'm glad to see that Mo is still firmly ensconced in the Boomerang household!
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 09:53 pm
We went to our favourite garden centre this evening, in search of some Christmas spirit. They have a wonderful seasonal gift shop, unique decorations, wreaths, trees, both real and artificial, everthing for Christmas.

We walked in through a forest of artificial trees, probably 12 feet high, decorated with mini white lights. Very realistic artificial trees. All for sale, and priced at about $1300. Yes, one thousand three hundred dollars.
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 09:55 pm
Ouch!

Did I say that they were very realistic?
0 Replies

username

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 10:24 pm
I live next door to Somerville, MA, one of the shining (literally) capitals of the "more is more" school of Xmas decorations. If your yard doesn't have a 6 foot tall plastic snowman, a life-size Santa in his sleigh and 8 no-not-tiny reindeer, a life-size plastic nativity complete with oxen, donkeys, magi, camels, and angels overhead, all of the above with lights in their bellies, plus a hundred strings of multi-colored lights, you're regarded as some sort of foreigner, like someone who might live in Cambridge (where one chaste electric candle in two downstairs windows is regarded as reckless excess). It's kind of wonderful. Every year the Somerville Arts Council hires two or three of the Boston trolley tour busses and runs light tours one weekend. They have choirs, and hot cider, and homemade cookies, and you sing carols on the busses (nobody remembers the words--except me), and tell you great facts about Somerville history--like Somerville was the slaughterhouse capital of east of the Mississippi, tho I'm not sure what that has to do with Xmas.

So, I've been thinking of taking my digicam out and wondered what would be the right place to post pix, and I think this may be it. I haven't even figured out how to do an avatar yet--can someone give me a quick course in uploading pix to topics here?
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 10:50 pm
You all are gonna make me roll down the street and take a picture of my neighbors' prize-winning Christmas set-up. It's wonderful.

username, posting pictures of our decorations here sounds like fun. I love this time of year. I post pix through imageshack.com. Check them out. They will talk you through the procedure.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 12:05 am

Tutorial - How to post an image

Oh, and eoe, dear - I believe you mean ImageShack-dot-US, not dot- com, which brings the unwary web surfer to a spamspewing, yuckware-strewn internet reef, set there just for such purpose.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/28/2024 at 03:46:45