A "Secret Life of Houses" Digression.

patiodog

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2003 05:18 pm
dlowan wrote:
Hiama said: "Please send library therein hereinunder as fast as possible, supplies diminishing, just about to lose cultural consciousness, the knowledge veins are being cut off- quick man quick !"

Patio said:" oh, those veins have been cut off here in america for quite some time, and we do all right with it! a little dizzy, perhaps, but that's to be expected."

Wot the smeg's this, then, eh?

meant to be read aloud, as in, "note to self: see own post above."

and didn't, for the very final time.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2003 05:19 pm
I must confess that, caffeine or no caffeine, I do not get it.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2003 06:11 pm
oh
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 08:35 am
hello, Patio - I know you are there...
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 08:52 am
howdy. i am here. and there. everywhere i ain't, i am.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 08:54 am
Did the chicken entrails say so?

To get back to houses for a sec... looks like we will be staying in this good ol' house for another year. The truly twisty and turny saga of job offers this year seems to have come to a "close but no cigar" ending. One job -- E.G. was going to get the offer, but the job itself folded. It was a joint position between two institutions and one of the institutions balked at the 11th hour (and 59th minute.) Other job -- was between E.G. and someone else and looks like someone else got it. Everyone's boggled -- they thought he was a lock -- but this year has shown that he seems to have more options than he thought, so this is all probably good. Onward and upward.

Meanwhile, he still has another 2 years at the current postdoc (ends July of 2005). I find that my overwhelming response seems to be relief, which is always telling. (None of this is absolutely written in stone, yet, so I may still come back with an "Actually...", but seems pretty definite.)

So I'm gonna go ahead and work my little butt off in the garden after all -- last week I caught myself saying "what for? We won't be here next year anyway."
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 08:59 am
Well, a garden is a footprint in the sands of time - a gift to the future from the past - and such, nicht wahr?

We have a ubiquitio dog here, it seems!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 09:48 am
A couple of weeks ago a solitary tulip popped up in the middle of our lawn. This wasn't a huge surprise in itself, except that it wasn't there last year (do bulbs have dormant years?), and it was nowhere near the other tulips that somebody in times past planted around the house. Just there in the middle of the grass.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 09:58 am
It may have been dug up & replanted there by a squirrel. I've watched them do that in my yard.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 11:06 am
Huh! It's not enough that they (and the birds) eat all the cherries off the trees, I guess.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 03:14 pm
you were not happy with the tulip?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 03:35 pm
It turns out that I was quite pleased with the incongruity of the tulip, especially as it gave me an excuse (albeit a flimsy one) not to cut the damn grass. It is the ongoing presumptiveness (presumption?) of the squirrels that galls me. I bark and bark and bark and bark, and they just do whatever they please.

Damn the screen door.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 03:36 pm
I meow and hiss and screech and they do whatever they damn please.

Same diff.

They're rather zen, I guess.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 03:38 pm
Smug little bastards... they know they're quicker than us.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 03:40 pm
From the distance at which I am able to view them, they have nothing but charm!

Could it have been a mole?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 03:40 pm
It's our fault, though, for making birdfeeders slash squirrel gyms.

When will they make their move toward world domination, do you think? Or have they already? Are we cogs in the squirrel machine?

<eyes get ever larger and swirlier>
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 03:51 pm
Very soon, I would have thought..... the signs are all there...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 04:20 pm
Should we try for a record for Concurrently Active Digressions (or CADs)?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 04:33 pm
Hmmmm - there is one on Abuzz, too.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 05/10/2024 at 04:54:42