Russian Classics

georgeob1

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 07:20 pm
Mame wrote:

I like War & Peace, too... but too much detail... much like Dickens, every single bleeding thing is described in excruciating detail... Do we really need to know exactly how the gas light was shining on that particular piece of road at that moment???

Some of the details, however, are marvelous. I vaguely recall the description of how, just before the evacuation of Moscow, a French captain was selecting prisioners to be executed. He was about to select Pierre when he was momentarily distracted by another officer, and, when he returned to the business at hand chose another.

The epilogue is also wonderful, poarticularly his essay that starts with the rhetorical question, "What are the forces that move nations?"
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 03:06 am
You are right... overall, fabulous books. Really great. And sometimes you do need the detail to get you and keep you there, right there...
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 08:41 pm
I still can't believe I have War and Peace in one book, complete and unabridged.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 08:55 pm
Gargamel wrote:
Chekhov is the best short story writer, ever, period.

Gogol writes the most scathing yet benevolent omniscient narrator. Loved Dead Souls--his stories are worth reading, too.

One of my all time favorite Russian novels is Master and Margarita by Bulgakov; check him out if you haven't already.

The Russians are the greatest storytellers.

The Master and Margarita is one of my faves too, I was lucky enough to take a Russian lit class in college which broke it down in detail. I was already a lover of the book, but spending three or four weeks re-reading it with a great professor was illuminating. I wonder where those notes are ...
0 Replies

Jonsey

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 04:33 pm
well, my all time favorite is still Anna Karenia...Crime and Punishment freaked me out a bit. If you can get through all the extra verbage, the stories are excellent.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2006 12:48 pm
For you who like Dostojevski a book by Sonja Kovalevsky would be of interest. It is about her childhood in Russia and very easy to read, a fantastic description of daily life on an estate. She meets Dostojevski and he even wants to marry her.
As you can see her life was a very interesting one and she a very special woman. A book worth reading.

http://www.mthcsc.wfu.edu/~kuz/Stamps/Kovalevsky/Kovalevsky.html
0 Replies