BEATLES INFORMATION THREAD

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2003 08:27 pm
I thought we could start a thread to share info about the Beatles and that we could begin with this URL, which answers all questions about who was on the cover of Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band album. Two who were slated to be included got dropped. Do you know who they were?

http://www.iamthebeatles.com/article1318.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 2,654 • Replies: 18
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2003 08:32 pm
And here is a trivia test. How much do you really know about the Beatles?

http://www.iamthebeatles.com/page1013.html
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2003 11:55 pm
I don't know that much about the Beatles, but I do enjoy their music. Here's one trivia for your forum. The British Library in London has original manuscripts of some of the music the Beatles wrote along side the classic masters such as Mozart, Bethoven, Handel, Chopin, and some others. I saw them and the Magna Carta when I visited London last month. c.i.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 01:21 am
Question: What's this tune?

Da-ra-dum Dar-ra Dum Dum Da..........

Answer:

It's the instrumental beginning of "From Me, To You".

Seriously, what's your favourite B side? I like "There's a Place"
A local band used to play it, a cover version you might say, when I was growing up and the memory sticks with me. Good band, good song, good times.

McT
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 10:13 am
I always stuck to albums. For me there were no B sides. Which period of their career did you like the most? I was constantly amazed how they could move from the early stuff to Revolver and Rubber Soul and continue evolving. I find it hard to choose, except to say, I was no fan of theirs prior to the time I heard the song "And I Love Her."
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 10:34 pm
McTag, From what I have learned about you, I doubt very much you miss out on any good times. That's a compliment. c.i.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 11:48 pm
It's just some days ago, 40 years back on April 11 1963 the Beatles released their second number one hit "From me to you".

More on this at http://www.thebeatles.com/html/frommetoyou/
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 05:04 am
In 1978 my daughter bought this book for me and I found that is was jam packed with interesting information especially about the early days and the relationships betwen the fab four. Also the is a chapter on the trip to India and the use of drugs and how it affected the music was interesting.

A Twist Of Lennon
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 10:18 am
There are many Beatles tribute bands, but one of/ the best is The Bootleg Beatles and they do a tour round here every December,
I've been to hear them twice and they are absolutely amazing!
They do all the material from the early days right up to the White Album and they can reproduce all the music, with a little help from their friends on the electronics, really excellently.
Until heard it, I never would have thought it possible to do Sgt Pepper live on stage, but they do it- really well.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 07:23 am
Alright, here's a Beatles fun fact. Many of their early songs were written on scraps of paper in the back of a van travelling between gigs. Little did they suspect that in a couple of decades, musicologists would be analyzing their work all over the world.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 07:30 am
i must try to find my copy of "the beatles: an illustrated record", there's agreat story in there about a dutch session drummer called into play a show in amsterdam while ringo recovered from the flu, this was at the height of beatlemania, it's a definite case of somebody getting there 15 or 30 minutes of fame
Brandon9000

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 02:13 pm
The gold standard of live performances (and, no, they're not lip-synching):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6O8YvKHRMrw
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 02:24 pm
@djjd62,
Jimmy Nichol filled in with the Beatles in Scandinavia, the Netherlands, Asia and Australia during their 1964 world tour.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Nicol
0 Replies

itsmepatd

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2009 04:52 pm
@edgarblythe,
what were the two rival gangs in the working class during the 1960 in englad?
Shapeless

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2009 05:07 pm
If any of you with encyclopedic knowledge of the Beatles ever feel like getting an advanced degree, you should consider Liverpool Hope University's newly instated Master's Degree in the Beatles.
Ragman

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2009 10:35 pm
@itsmepatd,
Might you be referring to the Mods and the Rockers?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 12:02 am
@Shapeless,
I've friends that could teach all that, not that I give a wit, or that they would.

Well, hey, whatever gets you through the night.
Shapeless

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 12:05 am
@ossobuco,
I do wonder how marketable a degree that is outside of Liverpool Hope University itself. I imagine many record stores might be interested in a Beatles Masters scholar, but that's about it.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 2 May, 2009 11:08 am
The Beatles rehearsing for the Ed Sullivan show. They had been on the previous week and this was a rehearsal for their second show from Miami.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkrHdO88KtY
0 Replies