Vt. Teacher Accused of Anti-Bush Quiz

Reyn

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 04:41 pm
Big brother is watching! No making fun of the head of the country.

A high school teacher is facing questions from administrators after giving a vocabulary quiz that included digs at President Bush and the extreme right.

Bret Chenkin, a social studies and English teacher at Mount Anthony Union High School, said he gave the quiz to his students several months ago. The quiz asked students to pick the proper words to complete sentences.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 405 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 04:44 pm
Yeah, I read that in one of the local papers. Unless it impacts on Mr. Chenkin's career, I think it's more humorous than serious. I don't think he should have used the specific sentences he did in his vocabulary quiz, but also think that to do anything more than give him a talking-to is over-reacting.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 12:15 pm
Making "fun"?? You are missing the point as usual.

A teacher is paid to teach. Trying to influence a childs mind regarding political beliefs is outside the teachers role.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 12:35 pm
Quote:
One example: "I wish Bush would be (coherent, eschewed) for once during a speech, but there are theories that his everyday diction charms the below-average mind, hence insuring him Republican votes." "Coherent" is the right answer.

i think that's a pretty good vocabulary question, *if* the quiz was in-class rather than take-home. of course, the implication that Rebublican minds are below-average is unsubstantiated. finally, i would have used the word "ensure" rather than "insure" although both seem to be acceptable.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 12:51 pm
Quote:
I wish Bush would be (coherent, eschewed) for once during a speech, but there are theories that his everyday diction charms the below-average mind, hence insuring him Republican votes.

Yeah... besides being extremely elitist, that is just the kind of sentence that "prompts debate." Sounds like the teacher is making a real safe place for those with opposing views to express themselves. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 09:24 pm
woiyo wrote:

I certainly hope that this comment was not directed at me personally. Do you know me well enough to make a statement like that?

Or, are you stalking me?
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 07:12 am
Reyn wrote:
woiyo wrote:

I certainly hope that this comment was not directed at me personally. Do you know me well enough to make a statement like that?

Or, are you stalking me?

Directed right at you, pal.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 07:49 am
Re: Vt. Teacher Accused of Anti-Bush Quiz
Reyn wrote:
Big brother is watching! No making fun of the head of the country.

A high school teacher is facing questions from administrators after giving a vocabulary quiz that included digs at President Bush and the extreme right.

Bret Chenkin, a social studies and English teacher at Mount Anthony Union High School, said he gave the quiz to his students several months ago. The quiz asked students to pick the proper words to complete sentences.

Chenkin ought to be suspended immediately. There is no room or excuse for his dragging politics into a vocabulary test, or anywhere else within a classroom setting unless it is a class dealing with American history and/or politics at which point he may state facts; but, he would still be erring if he offered his choice of sides. The choosing of a particular political viewpoint can be woven into a classroom discussion in which the students are participating in an expression of their ideas and views; however an instructor never has the right to do this within a classroom.

Let's turn the statements for a moment into a vocabulary test in which Mr.Chenkin extolled the great virtues and wisdom of Adolph Hitler. If Mr.Chenkin (or any teacher) is permitted to do what he has done without disciplinary action then chaos will rule. Let me take it a step further to where we now take Mr. Chenkin's quiz and the question is reworded: "I wish Sally Jones would be (coherent, eschewed) for once during a speech...". How would this go over if Sally Jones happened to be the student sitting in row 3 who was running for the position of Student Council President? It may seem harmless at the start to do what Mr. Chenkin has done; however, deeper examination shows that there is great harm done from this sort of action.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 08:27 am
woiyo wrote:
Directed right at you, pal.

Well, you have a real nice day then.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 08:29 am
the more I think on it I realize that Chenkin should be drawn and quartered...
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Vt. Teacher Accused of Anti-Bush Quiz
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 10:31:25