What would you like you epitaph to be?

Montana

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 11:49 pm
hahaha!!!! I've been lucky so far with the bird thing, but since I live next to the ocean with seagulls everywhere, it's bound to happen some day. Don't get any ideas Heeven ;-)
0 Replies

ArtUnbound

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2003 02:54 am
An epitaph could also be, the heading of the mourning card or death notice. Or would you say that is reserved for the family, to express what they feel about you?

Regardless, mine would probably say:

"Never thought that peace could be too quiet - now I know"

or:

"If you want to keep warm, better not join me in here", or maybe:

"Could someone please be so kind and take that stone from my head?"
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2003 04:44 am
Now I realize that my piccie is of an Emu, I didn't mean quite that size of bird! Could you imagine the size of the @#$%?

Sorry C.I. - yes it was me. I've had that happen to me too - unfortunately I was going for an interview and the poop was in my hair and on my jacket .... another job I didn't get!

I don't know how true this is but I remember hearing somewhere of a headstone of a hypochondriac that said "I TOLD you I was sick!"
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2003 05:08 am
Dyslexia wrote:
i highly doubt that C.I. showed any intention to offend anyone

Of course, he did not mean to insult anyone. If he did, he would not change the posting. It was a kind of mistake, maybe resulting from lack of Christian background. Maybe, norms of Buddhism/Shinto (C.I. is a Japanese American) do not imply such a thing as blasphemy (I have no clue, whether they do, and what is considered a blasphemy by either of these religions); but Christians may be sensitive to the context in which the name of the Savior appears.
My intervention was a kind of a "politically correct" attempt. If we abstain from usage of certain vocabulary and definitions that might have been offensive for Blacks, gays, non-Christians, indigenous Americans, etc., IMO, the White Christians also have rights for respectful treatment of their culture and tradition, just as any other humans do.
And I want to repeat that I have never suspected C.I. in attempting to insult any people; the posting I meant turned to be nothing more than a somewhat clumsy joke; it does not exist any more in its initial version, and I have thanked C.I. for taking into consideration my inconvenience with it.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2003 06:40 am
" 14-44-6'"

the approximate NPK value of the cremains.

steissd... perhaps we should have a thread sometime about what we each perceive as offensive through our cultures and religious biases.Recently ii was amazed at all the Iraqis whacking images of Saddam with their shoes. ive been to Saudi, Jordan and the Emirates and had never had my State department training re social sensitivities seriously tried . I only followed the basics and kept the rules of etiqutte as Id been drilled. However, unlike the French, who will quickly tell you of every faux pas you pull, the arab lands were full of very patient people (except when our geophysical team leader got thrown in jail for taking pix of a saudi palace)
My point is, respectfully submitted' I have no Idea where cicerones unintended blasphemy was, and im raised a CAtholic so guilt is my culture
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2003 07:07 am
Farmerman, the posting of C.I. was edited by him after my remark. Originally, the word "Hell" appeared instead of the word "Heaven". But I strongly appreciate readiness of C.I. to remove the term that can be considered offensive while combined with the name of the Savior.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2003 07:49 am
One of the most plaintive epitaph's that I have seen, was in a cemetery near Tryon in Carolina. It was eloquently etched on a crypt, and was obviously at the request of a French lady who died in America, but wanted desperately to return home:

Au revoir, mon belle France. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2003 07:53 am
One of the most plaintive epitaphs that I have seen, was in a cemetery near Tryon in Carolina. It was eloquently etched on a crypt, and was obviously at the request of a French lady who died in America, but wanted desperately to return home:

Au revoir, mon belle France. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2003 08:38 am
oops, sorry. Hit the submit twice, 'cause the response was soooooo slow appearing.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2003 09:04 am
He enjoyed it while he was here. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2003 03:43 pm
Last fall I visited the cemetery on the Wind River indian reservation in Wyoming to see Sacajewea's grave.

It was the most brilliant and wonderfull and festive places I've ever seen. It was a riot of color and design and personality.

The markers typically just had a last name so I'm guessing that would be good enough for me.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2003 10:25 pm
guilt
Farmerman, I read recently that Jews invented guilt, but the Catholics perfected it. ( background is the same as yours, so I suspect you agree )

My epitaph: "THAT'S ALL FOLKS!!!"
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2003 10:37 pm
steissd wrote:
My intervention was a kind of a "politically correct" attempt. If we abstain from usage of certain vocabulary and definitions that might have been offensive for Blacks, gays, non-Christians, indigenous Americans, etc.

I think this is a good idea.

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=179243#179243
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2003 11:15 pm
What the heck has he ever done for this world?
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2003 11:23 pm
I'm also going to be cremated, but that's neither here nor there.

"She lived, she died, she conquered."
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2003 11:40 pm
Died on his 120th birthday.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2003 08:31 am
HIC SEPVLTVS EST
ANDREAS JOCVLARIS
DEI GRATIA, LATVIS
CVI NATVS IN RIGA
A.D. MCMXXXVIII
ET CVI OBITER IN HAVAIENSIS
A.D. MML
RECVIESCAT IN PACIS

Somebody please correct my pidgin Latin.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2003 09:55 am
When the lights go out, I've given specific instructions to my family:

"nearest dumpster"!

And my epitaph, I'm busy working on it now, until then.
0 Replies

Sleepyhead

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2003 05:31 am
In the yard
Tragically while mowing the lawn
0 Replies

Sleepyhead

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2003 05:34 am
Um, I guess that's more like an announcement than an epitaph. Nevermind.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 09:14:10