Noddy24

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 10:52 am
I do not have an E-Bay account.

Every so often I get an urgent message in my in box:

Quote:
We at eBay are sorry to inform you that we are having problems with
the billing information of your account. We would appreciate it if you
would visit our eBay Billing Center and fill out the proper
information that we are needing to keep you as an eBay member.
If you don't comply until the 30th November 2005, your eBay membership may be suspended, or even deleted.

I've read that this is a scam and that E-Bay would like to be notified of such scams.

When I try to tell E-Bay that someone is scamming, they insist that I must join E-Bay. I've explored their site with increasing exasperation and there is no way to contact Customer Service without becoming a member.

Maddening.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 842 • Replies: 19
No top replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 10:56 am
if all else fails, check through your e-mail options and block their mail from coming through...a Spam blocker... maybe your internet provider could also be notified and they could keep any e-bay stuff from coming through. If none of that works just delete it without reading it...is that a possibility?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 03:47 pm
Sturgis--

I'm annoyed with E-Bay for not making scams using their name easy to report.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 01:01 pm
E-Bay's solution to your problem can be found right here:
http://pages.ebay.com/education/spooftutorial/index.html

You just need to forward the suspicous e-mail to "[email protected]".
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 01:05 pm
I occasionally get the same sort of messages from PayPal.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 02:11 pm
Fishin'

Blessings upon you. This is exactly the sort of short cut I was hoping to be given.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 04:44 pm
Fishin'--

Thanks again. I just sent off another "your account needs our attention" pisher.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 07:17 pm
To be honest Noddy, I don't know if E-Bay will do anything that will help you. Since you aren't a member you probably won't be high in their list. But it certianly can't hurt for you to forward the e-mails to them.

Were I you, I wouldn't expect the junk to stop showing up in my inbox though. For every one of these people that do get caught and shut down, 20 more seem to show up. *sigh*
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 09:18 pm
Fishin'--

I'm an old fashioned woman when it comes to Civic Duty. I'm not going to fall for a pishing scheme--but I still feel I should Do Something when I'm solicited.

When I die I hope to leave my corner of the universe reasonably tidy.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 07:09 am
I get those exact emails from paypal, half . com, ebay, barnes and noble.. >sigh<

and I have only begun shopping with in the last few weeks.

Those phishers are fast. And since it is the holiday season, they are out in full force.

If spoof@- what ever- doesnt work, one of the ways that AOL taught me when i worked there, to get rid of that is to forward the email to postmaster@ ( and whatever the domain was )

Example -

If you get an email from
" your ebay account is wrong @ hooplah.org"
you will forward it to-
Postmaster @ hooplah.org

forwarding it to ebay AND postmaster usually , at least the experience in my email box, gives the phishers 2 smoking guns to deal with.

I actually get a whole week break if nto more.. ( imagine that.. Rolling Eyes ) between those stupid things , when i use postmaster as well.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 01:39 pm
Shewolf--

Thanks. I've been regretting that "spoof" wouldn't report every larcenous pisher.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 01:46 pm
There's also the DOJ, I believe. I'll look it up, but there's an address to forward scam email to. I forwarded one of the Nigerian doctor scams and a Spanish lotter scam to that email. I'll try to find it.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 01:52 pm
Hey Duckee. Ive developed a great "Nigerian" scam blocker. I get a Nigerian spam and then I send them a curse. Im descriptive of the curse,
1bloody boils on theit hands and eyes
2 blood flowing freom all orifices of their bodies
3rotting flesh (that gets em)

I havent reveieved a Nigerian spam for months
My problem now is that Im getting lots of spam from an agency purpoting to be the CIA, and its telling me Ive been visiting illegal websites.. I get maybe 10 of those a day. all my spam blocker does is quarantine it .
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 01:54 pm
Ah yeah, that's a new one. I wonder if you can forward that to the CIA. That would be funny. Maybe [email protected].
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 01:54 pm
Whoops. Don't click that.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 01:55 pm
farmerman- Funny that you should mention that. I have been getting LOADS of that stuff as of late. Not 5 minutes ago, I was surfing around, and found this:

http://www.fbi.gov/pressrel/pressrel05/emailscheme112205.htm
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 01:57 pm
I've gotten stuff like that from paypal recently, something about going to paypal.com and updating, their needing credit card info. Harrumph, I so ain't gonna.
I've reported on paypal scams before to paypal, and they confirmed they were scams and thanked me. These recent ones seem real.
I'm losing my email address fairly soon now anyway, so I'm not bothering to check it out.
However..... I guess this will knock me out as a subscriber to a2k, for a while anyway.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 02:14 pm
NO reputable company asks for sensitive information via E Mail. Never, ever, respond to E Mails that asks for credit card #s, passwords, etc.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 02:28 pm
when you have to worry is when the scammers use your real name
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 03:02 pm
I would never make a change by email - I would check the real website paypals' fraud address first.
0 Replies