Mirrors to Banish Town's Winter Darkness

Reyn

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 11:49 pm
Every once in a while you read a story that's so unusual that it grabs you right away.....

The sun has stopped shining in Rattenberg. But with the aid of a few mirrors, the winter darkness that grips this small town could soon be brightened up with pockets of sunshine.

That's because sun is plentiful less than 10 minutes' walk from the town and from Rat Mountain, the 3,000-foot hill that blocks its sunlight between November and February each year.

Mirrors to Banish Town's Winter Darkness
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 784 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Heliotrope

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 01:11 pm
I read about this some time ago.
It's a brilliant idea.
I certainly hope it comes to fruition.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 06:57 pm
I wonder how they will protect the mirrors from damage, let's say vandalism?
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 05:55 am
Put them in space.

Mirrors in geosyncronous orbit could reflect sunlight back to the night side. Whole cities can be naturally lit 24/7 365 days.

Rap
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 06:01 am
They could put mirrors on the toes of thier shoes. That way the light would always follow them.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 08:23 am
raprap wrote:
Put them in space.

Mirrors in geosyncronous orbit could reflect sunlight back to the night side. Whole cities can be naturally lit 24/7 365 days.

Rap

Hmm, sounds like an expensive idea though.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 08:23 am
edgarblythe wrote:
They could put mirrors on the toes of thier shoes. That way the light would always follow them.

Ah, Edgar's been thinking overtime here! Laughing
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 05:31 pm
http://www.earthwidemoth.com/mt/img/rattenberg.jpg
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 09:28 pm
It certainly is an imaginative idea, isn't it?
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 10:56 pm
Imaginative but it also might be disorienting to have the light coming from a strange angle. Still, having been in places with similar shadow problems, I think I'd prefer light to no light.
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 01:05 am
Reyn wrote:
I wonder how they will protect the mirrors from damage, let's say vandalism?

Vandalism ?
Who the hell would want to vandalise the very thing they all voted and paid for ?

In any case, if they were vandalised you find out who did it and officially beat the living sh*t out of them with a truncheon and four policemen.
Then you print their pictures in the paper along with their names and addresses and exactly what they did.

If they do it again you'll only need the police to clean up what's left after the townspeople get through with them.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 01:41 am
At least, they've got traditionally some artifical light, their famous advent lights:

http://www.rattenberg.at/kultur/advent/adv9.jpg http://www.rattenberg.at/kultur/advent/adv11.jpg
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 02:01 am
Great idea!
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Mirrors to Banish Town's Winter Darkness
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 10:25:08