A Feast for Crows... somewhat disappointing.

DrewDad

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 08:04 pm
This one filled in a lot of backstory, but it lacked the same sense of menace and suspense that I got from the others.

Any other Song of Ice and Fire fans out there?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,834 • Replies: 21
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 09:45 pm
DrewDad--

Glad you started this thread.

I haven't read Volume IV yet, but I did read in Locus that the installment was running oversize even for a fat fantasy so Martin and his editor decided to cover events south of the wall in this Volume and then go north of the wall in Volume 5.

Traditionally the second book in a trilogy suffers from "middle book flatness". Perhaps this is also the case with the fourth book in a heptology?
0 Replies

CrazyDiamond

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 10:26 pm
I'm glad this thread's here too, this needs to be discussed.

I haven't gotten A Feast For Crows yet, obviously because it's like $30 right now. I hate buying hardcover books to get the same read from a paperback.

I worry periodically that George R.R. Martin will turn his great series into a Wheel of Time series. I've got nothing against the Wheel of Time series, I like it alot, but honestly, it's too long. This series has got a good thing going, I love the books so far, so please Mr. Martin keep your books within the 1000 page mark and please keep the series moving.

BTW DrewDad, don't say any spoilers in this thread if you would be so kind, thanks
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 10:29 pm
Well, no spoilers, but there is no appearace from Tyrion, and only a short one fron Jon Snow.
0 Replies

CrazyDiamond

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 11:05 pm
Shocked AHHHH now I have no reason to live! I must shoot myself!!!

just kidding :wink:
interesting, I thought he was developing those characters for larger roles. Must be quite a few new characters introduced eh?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 08:08 am
CrazyDiamond--

In a few weeks check out Amazon "New and Second Hand". If you're lucky the price of a like-new hardback will be down to the price of trade paper. You will have to pay $3.49 P&H.

Also the Science Fiction Book Club offers hardbacks for trade paper prices. At the moment they have a $2 special on for P&H--usually this is about $5 a book.

Amazon qua Amazon gives free P&H if your order is $25 or more.

DrewDad--

Tryion is one of the more interesting lead characters I've seen in a long time. Pity I'll have to postpone further acquaintance.

You may be right about Martin being on the verge of an overly extended tale. I'll know more when my SFBC copy arrives.
0 Replies

CrazyDiamond

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 09:03 am
I can't trust buying a used book. I never have been able to, maybe I'll just try it one time.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 09:11 am
Sometimes there are "damaged" copies that are sold at big discounts. Got a copy of The Hallowed Hunt that way; hardback at paperback price.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 09:48 am
CrazyDiamond--

I've been penny-pinching with the Amazon New & Used for about 30 books now and have never had a problem.

If you use the A2K Amazon link:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/subst/home/home

A2K gets a small percentage of your purchase.
0 Replies

CrazyDiamond

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 07:56 pm
At least it's a good cause Wink

I think I will try the used books because I've been wanting to get this book and, also the new Sword of Truth book, which I've been looking at for a long time, is still in hardcover.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 10:03 am
I'm off for the weekly grocery shop. Perhaps when I come home A Feast for Crows will be waiting in the mailbox.

Perhaps not...
0 Replies

CrazyDiamond

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 07:17 pm
Don't get your hopes up. I hate when I get all excited and I go check the mail and it's not even there. Evil or Very Mad

Then again, I don't have a mailbox. I go to the post office...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 08:31 pm
Not today, alas, but perhaps tomorrow....
0 Replies

CrazyDiamond

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 12:02 am
So have you gotten it yet Noddy?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 07:55 am
Yesterday was a day of detours and tedious detail, but as a reward for my mostly-adult behavior, A Feast for Crows appeared in the mailbox.

I'm about halfway through. In some ways by concentrating on half his plot strands, Martin manages to make the narration more intense.

CrazyDiamond--

Have you checked out the Amazon prices yet?
0 Replies

CrazyDiamond

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 12:17 am
The lowest is $17. I'll wait a little longer, as I would only save $1.48 at this point.

I'm waiting patiently, determined to get a bargain. I'll let you know how it turns out. Very Happy
0 Replies

CrazyDiamond

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 12:25 am
Meanwhile I'm looking at the latest installment of the Wheel of Time series. There's some good deals on that one...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 08:19 am
CrazyDiamond--

If WOT is reduced, Harry Potter must be very affordable.

I don't like thinking that books are trendy purchases, but I don't like wasting money, either.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 02:05 pm
CrazyDiamond--

I don't think I'll be dragging in spoilers, but be warned.....

Drew Dad--

Quote:
This one filled in a lot of backstory, but it lacked the same sense of menace and suspense that I got from the others

I disagree. I think Martin does an excellent job of evoking the fragmented chaos in the Seven Kingdoms with armies marching back and forth. As the countryside becomes more and more ravaged (with the long winter approaching) the Movers and Shakers of the novel become increasingly "gray" people, either good nor evil, but ordinary people caught up in extraordinary events.

The theme of madness is becoming more and more pronounced.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 02:35 pm
Small quibble: Like many authors of fantasy and historical novels, Martin is guilty of having his characters slit open messages written on parchment, read them and then crumple them (carelessly or viciously) and throw them in the fire.

Unfortunately, parchment is made from animal hide. Parchment is leather and it doesn't crumple and it certainly stinks when burnt.
0 Replies