eCommerce--order from overseas--what's risk of filling it?

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 06:59 pm
I have an online store (based in the US), and just received a $2,000 order from overseas. Payment via Visa card.

I've not been in this business long enough to know the risks associated with doing business with a party overseas, and to risk two G's is scary to me.

I've heard that it's easy to "charge back" a credit card order and difficult for the merchant to fight it.

Is there a more secure way of doing business? Are there some countries I should avoid? Should I avoid all foreign sales altogether?

Your prompt and thorough response is appreciated.

Sincerely,
General Tsao
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,042 • Replies: 5
No top replies

roger

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 08:07 pm
My question would be about who has the customs responsibility. If you can get confirmation of delivery, I doubt you will have any problems. In any case, if you are going to decline foreign orders, it would be well to make that very clear before the order is even presented.

Just guessing, you understand.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 08:07 pm
Check to see if the delivery address even exists. In my limited e-commerce background we had problems with Indonesia, Roumania and Russia.

Have you considered using paypal as an intermediary?
0 Replies

tracyflick

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 10:49 pm
I have a similar question. I may have several hundreds of customers all over the world purchasing a product through my US company via online orders. A typical order will probably be around $40 - $100 USD.

Is there a quick way to verify delivery address via ecommerce software?

Is paypal the safest method and if yes, perhaps I should require this for overseas orders?

Is this going to be added expense for me?

Will customers have to pay customs if the order is under $100 USD or some other amount? Can I put customs responsibility on my customer?
0 Replies

ai

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 06:57 am
what do you sell ?and what's your website address ?
0 Replies

young

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 12:23 pm
PayPal is reliable and confirms both sides names and addresses. It charges some fees for Receive Funds plus 2.5% extra charge for Foreign Currency Exchange. But PayPal is still not popular in many countries. Credit card payment is the easiest way to pay and a lot of customers believe US companies.

I would confirm the customer's address and phone# through any Visa security program before I mail 2 Grands products. Both shipping to and return from customer probably need Confirmation of Delivery and insurance for some oversea transactions.
0 Replies