Mainstream Rap- White man new form of opression

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 03:41 pm
Mainstream rap is now just a way for White men to use black culture and make money. Almost every rapper that gets play on the radio alot and on tv have no skill and have nothing real to say. These white record label owners higher some dumb black man with no skill and who has the right image, fizes him up and uses him for as long as they can. They rap gets looked down apon because someoen turns on their tv and see a bucnh of girls, guns, and hoes. The rappers with skills get looked pasy by big companys because they wont let them chqange their style to fit anybody. Club songs are fine but when thats all you here somethings up. Then after awhile of hearing weak rhymes people actualy start to think thats a good rapper and when thsoe peopel do hear rappers with skill and something to say they dont udnerstand it because the white man dumbed them down. What happned to people spitting about all aspects of life, not just the cars and money? What happned to the real mcs? The question to taht si their everywere except on ya shitty Trl and radio statiosn that play the same songs liek 20 times a day.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,247 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 03:43 pm
And what happened to people that know how to spell?

That money, hoes and cars thing is what sells, and sheep everywhere eat it up.

"Yo, I needs to get some spinnin' rims on my SUV, dawg! Mad tight!"
0 Replies

TheIntro

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 03:45 pm
Yo my friend are the type of person that eats up the trash and does not care whats in it.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 04:04 pm
I wasn't saying I want spinnin' rims there, brightasabagofsmashedlightbulbs.

That's the mentality of people who do eat that stuff up.

I know there's a lot of very talented underground rappers that won't make it big...I hear what you're saying.

In a way it's like boybands...image sells, not necessarily the music.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 05:14 pm
It's nothing new. There was this guy named Elvis who made "black music" palatable to white folks. There were British kids who popularized the blues and made millions while the black men who wrote the songs faded into obscurity.

The NBA is another way white men capitalize on black culture. But don't worry, it has nothing to do with skin color. See, we exploit women's bodies, the environment, tons of ****. Whatever sells.

I understand that it makes you mad. Good punk bands on huge labels are unheard of anymore. So there's diet punk on MTV.

Country music used to rule. Now it is the lamest possible.

But there are bigger tragedies out there than bad radio and corrupt labels.

What have we learned today? NOTHING IS AS COOL AS IT USED TO BE.

Which is why God invented alcohol.

Thank you for your time.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 05:17 pm
Re: Mainstream Rap- White man new form of opression
TheIntro wrote:
Mainstream rap is now just a way for White men to use black culture and make money.

Interesting concept. Might want to mention that to PDiddy.

Quote:
Almost every rapper that gets play on the radio alot and on tv have no skill and have nothing real to say. These white record label owners higher some dumb black man with no skill and who has the right image, fizes him up and uses him for as long as they can.

How is this different than any other band out there? Tons of music, of all races and nationalities don't get air play, and it has very little to do with the color of the skin, despite what you're attempting to imply here.

Quote:
They rap gets looked down apon because someoen turns on their tv and see a bucnh of girls, guns, and hoes. The rappers with skills get looked pasy by big companys because they wont let them chqange their style to fit anybody.

Rubbish. Rap continues to get more and more violent. I seem to remember an album put out by 2LiveCrew that was so controversial that it was banned in most markets. You're telling me that they had to change their style to get on with their label?

Quote:
Club songs are fine but when thats all you here somethings up. Then after awhile of hearing weak rhymes people actualy start to think thats a good rapper and when thsoe peopel do hear rappers with skill and something to say they dont udnerstand it because the white man dumbed them down. What happned to people spitting about all aspects of life, not just the cars and money? What happned to the real mcs? The question to taht si their everywere except on ya shitty Trl and radio statiosn that play the same songs liek 20 times a day.

That's radio for you. Has nothing to do with 'the white man' putting 'the black man' in his pocket. Most bands never see their music on the radio, black or white. It's the market, not a conspiracy.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 05:29 pm
No, what "TheIntro" is SAYING is that BECAUSE mainstream rap is getting more violent--though violence actually isn't anything new to mainstream rap, nor to some the places these rappers come from--underground and alternative hip-hop gets overlooked. Indie rap is not about a gangbanging image.

Questioner, I have to disagree. It strikes me as racist to capitalize on the THUG stereotype tons of racist bastards love to perpetuate. Record company's doors are not open to rap that shows an intellectual black persona, of which there are tons on independent labels. I don't care if it is a business decision, that doesn't mean it ain't racist.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 05:33 pm
Gargamel wrote:
Questioner, I have to disagree. It strikes me as racist to capitalize on the THUG stereotype tons of racist bastards love to perpetuate. Record company's doors are not open to rap that shows an intellectual black persona, of which there are tons on independent labels. I don't care if it is a business decision, that doesn't mean it ain't racist.

Of course it does. If the market studies don't show an interested in intellectual black persona then the record company would be stupid to spend the money to offer it.

Don't get me wrong, I have no doubt that there's still some racist egos in the business, but what it comes down to is BUSINESS.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 05:37 pm
Your response is based on the presumption that an intellectual black rapper would not sell records (this is not to say that some rappers like Nas aren't intellectual).

I find fault with that line of thinking.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 05:45 pm
Gargamel wrote:
Your response is based on the presumption that an intellectual black rapper would not sell records (this is not to say that some rappers like Nas aren't intellectual).

I find fault with that line of thinking.

Nonsense. My response is based on the presumption that market surveys haven't found a viable market for intellectual black rap. That doesn't mean that some records wouldn't get sold.

I will grant that I'm not a music market mastermind, so I'm speaking mainly from guesswork here.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 06:04 pm
What do you mean by "intellectual?"

Public Enemy was a very political rap group with some strong messages....would you consider that intellectual? I would.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 12:56 pm
Yeah, it's the wrong word. P.E., Nas, actually tons of mainstream rap with a political message is "intellectual."

Better to say rap that's more lyrical, and less about hooks and hot bitches in videos. Rappers like the Roots, Common, Mos Def.

I still don't see how capitalizing on a stereotype by shutting out those who defy it from the business isn't racist.

Maybe the objective is profit, but it's still racist. Does racism have to be intentional? I sure don't think so.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 02:13 pm
I honestly don't believe that the big music companies care about any color but green. Now, if the music companies were only signing white rappers to the total disregard of black musicians then yes, I think you could call racism. But not in this case.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 02:47 pm
I just wanted to say that if the issue is whether or not mainstream white entertainment has exploited and continues to exploit black culture, then it should be a no-brainer. From fake blackfaced vaudevillians to overlooked rock-and-roll innovators, the entertainment landscape is littered with the sucked-dry and discarded carcasses of black creativity. I remember very clearly when I saw the first black person on MTV - Michael Jackson. Long before "MTV raps" became one of the the faux jewels in the faux crown of what we are supposed to see as definitive modern entertainment, they wouldn't touch anyone black with a 10 foot pole until they noticed Mike could make them money. Nothing wrong with making money, but when I hear discussions "arguing " the point of whether or not there is exploitation or overlooking of art (let alone intellect - how many of you are familiar with Gil Scott Heron?), I think someone's trying to make a sick joke.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 03:11 pm
That about says it all Snood
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 03:16 pm
Gargamel wrote:
I still don't see how capitalizing on a stereotype by shutting out those who defy it from the business isn't racist.

But do you think that's what is happening? You pointed out the Roots..they for example don't play up on any stereotypes, and they've been very successful. I don't think anyone's being shut out because they're not promoting a stereotype. People care more about the beat, the hook, whether it's something that can catch on in the clubs and radio.

I don't think it's some executive that tells a guy like 50-cent, "hey buddy, go rap about being shot." No, he's some dude from the ghetto that used to sell drugs, that was his life, and he raps about it. And that stuff, combined with a talented producer who can make catchy tracks, stands out because it's edgy. Nothing wrong with that. Plenty of rock bands made a killing off an image too...look at Kiss. They suck balls, but are one of the best selling rock bands in history.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 03:26 pm
I totally agree that profit is the priority of record comapines. Of course it's not a matter of some turd in a bowtie telling 50 Cent to be "more real."

It's a matter of who gets exposure. The Roots are an exception, and really, how much attention do they get on the radio and on MTV?

Again, it's not blatant racism. But there is more than one kind of racism. And there is more than gangsta rap.

Blaxploitation movies like Shaft made shitloads of money. So what? Someone explain how money nullfies the race argument? Does that mean Shaft and tons of other movies of the kind aren't loaded with stereotypes?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 04:15 pm
I think if you all don't believe that there have been scenarios played out wherein the black producer or writer has been urged by some highly placed white guy to write or present people as "more black", then you're jerking yourselves around.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 04:18 pm
And there are white people in entertainment that have been pushed to be "more white" just the same.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 04:29 pm
I think the ol' days when a black sharecropper named "Blind Lemon Concentrate" shuffled into a studio with a crappy guitar and recorded a big hit record only to sell the rights to a sharp Jewish record company exec for a bottle of whiskey...are over.

Nowadays you might pay a percentage to the distribution company but everybody has their own publishing and record companies and 50 cent and eminem are keeping the lion's share of the profits...what I think...
0 Replies