When, where, and why were these books banned?

Booman

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 08:14 pm
Laughing Laughing
I don't know 'bout you Fishin'. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 09:35 pm
Little Black Sambo was interesting indeed!

As far as I could tell, the author had India in mind, but knew very, very little about India. Ghee is a nice touch, but the illustrations are firmly in the American/ Carribean idiom; Mumbo doesn't seem Indian at all, what with the headscarf et al.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 03:27 pm
Booman--

Obviously, my dear, you personally wrote the story in a previous reincarnation--400-500 years ago.

Or perhaps I wrote the story?

Either way, LBS has a marvelous plot and a happy ending. We're so talented!

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 03:41 pm
I only remember something about making butter. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2003 01:30 pm
Excuse me, while i take a full, deep, bow.................. Please take your seats.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2003 01:40 pm
It's amazing how some of these books got banned! Wow.
0 Replies

loganmax

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2004 05:03 pm
When/ where/ why/ Thomas Rockwell book ban How to eat fried
I need newspaper clippings for ban of Thomas Rockwell's book, How
to eat fried worms or early information on the controversy. Thanks.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2004 05:15 pm
If you don't believe that books can be banned; try obtaining a copy of the "Anarchists Cookbook". You might want to put on a pot of coffee to serve to the Fed's who will be arriving shortly. Shocked

Also, I'm surprised Phoenix didn't mention Atlas Shrugged has been banned in many non-capitalist countries for reasons that are obvious to those who have read it. :wink:
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2004 05:23 pm
Quote:
Also, I'm surprised Phoenix didn't mention Atlas Shrugged has been banned in many non-capitalist countries for reasons that are obvious to those who have read it.

Bill- Makes sense, but actually, I didn't know that the book had been officially banned anywhere!
0 Replies

carrie

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 06:24 am
The Well of Loneliness by Radclyffe Hall was banned as an obscene publication in 1928 as it is the story of an 'invert' and implied same sex relations. They were ordered to be burnt...strangely though, her poetry, containing the same material, although metaphorically, was very highly acclaimed.

Another one for your list!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 06:56 am
I recall that James Joyce thought Lady Chatterly' Lover ought to be censored, while D H Lawrence thought Ulysses ought to be censored. I can't back up the story - just read it somewhere.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 06:59 am
If only they'd do something positive and ban the bible.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 07:01 am
Author of Generation of Vipers and When Worlds Collide, Philip Wylie, thought Bibles ought to be laid away out of reach for, I think, a hundred years, then made available to scholars in their studies of the madness of our times.
0 Replies