folk music for beginners?

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 11:33 pm
Hey all,
I just recently started listening to amazing folk musicians such as Woody Guthrie, Lead Belly, Bob Dylan and Pete Seeger. Any suggestions of other folk musicians i should look for? are there any good books describing folk music?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 624 • Replies: 5
No top replies

username

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 01:26 am
Glad to see you getting into the music, anna; it's the music I've loved all my life. Boston has been kind of the epicenter since the 50s, and still is today. Two sites that might interest you are www.wumb.org which is the radio station associated with U. Mass. Boston, and is the only full-time folk station in the country (and is noncommercial to boot, so you don't wade thru a lot of ads to get to the music). They play everything from traditional stuff to bluegrass to Celtic to singer-songwriters. They stream live over the web, and they actually have several different streams, including a traditional folk one.

Also check out www.clubpassim.org which streams live shows in the evenings from Club Passim in Harvard Square, which started out as Club 47 in the 50s, and is now a nonprofit cultural organization. Joan Baez, Joni Mitchell, Gordon Lightfoot, Mississippi John Hurt, Muddy Waters, and a whole host of other legendary names played there.

Happy listening. I'll work on a list of names. Winnowing it down to a manageable number will be hard.

Oh, while I'm here, go to the Passim site, click on the schedule, go to the individual days, and you'll find a link which says "click on the artist's homepage" or something similar. A lot of those homepages have either clips or whole songs of the performers,( MP3s play under Windows Media Player). so you can get a whole lot of information in a short time.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 01:30 am
check this thread out...we named a lot of good artists...

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1636098#1636098
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 01:31 am
Boston was always the center...and Greenwich Village.
Thanks for the tips user...
0 Replies

elementary

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 03:57 pm
it depends what kind of folk music you're interested in. only 60s stuff onward? or do you have interest in the stuff that incluenced the 60s folk artists? if you do, Harry Smith's Anthology of American Folk Music comes highly recommended. it's one of my favorite historical documents.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 01:46 am
The Anthology is the real stuff...nitty gritty and down and dirty. All the songs that influenced the Folk music of the 60's
0 Replies