Short term investment. No Risk. Fifteen percent return.

Noddy24

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 02:46 pm
Our local supermarket gives Faithful Shoppers a choice between a free turkey and 10% off any single grocery shop between now and Thanksgiving.

On Tuesday I'm going shopping with a three-page, researched list and a fistful of cents off coupons. I qualify for the 10% discount and another 5% for being a Senile Citizen shopper.

I reckon on spending about $250 on staples and saving between $80 and $90--a lot more than the free turkey would cost.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,423 • Replies: 16
No top replies

roger

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 02:49 pm
Senile, indeed.

Do make sure the allow the other discounts at the same time as the Faithful Shoppers' discount. The often try to negate these great deals while seeming to give something away.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 02:51 pm
Are you sure you would have bought these staples even without the discount? If they seduce you into buying things you don't really need and want, that diminishes your gain from those 15 percent.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 02:58 pm
Cool beans, Noddy. SOunds like you've got it all Figured out!
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 03:14 pm
noddy : mrs h and i sure like discounts - particularly the "double dicount" sales.
ehbeth developed a system for looking for double discounts early on. she'd enter a clothing store that avertised a sale and would immediately look for the "special discount rack' - usually hidden from shoppers at the back of the store. we've learned from her; nothing like "an old dog learning a new trick" !
as thomas pointed out, one shouldn't buy what's not needed, but there is nothing wrong with picking up a bargain. one of our local grocery stores had a bargain on canned goods - peas, beans ... yesterday, 33 cents for a 14 ounce can of del monte "fancy grade" veggies- we sure stocked up .
regular price in the other stores was 89-99cents - bargain shopping is fun (of course, we know some people that absolutely refuse to buy at other than full retail price - but not us !). hbg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 03:21 pm
I'm famous at one of the local grocery stores for following the markdown people around.

Some of them just ask me what I want now - and mark it down for me right away. Saves us all time Cool

A couple of months ago, I ended up making money (1 red-hot penny) on a package of bagels. I think I flustered the marker-downer.

The bagels were on special in the flyer for $0.99. The marker-downer slapped a $1.00 off sticker on the package, when he saw me headed toward him.

hehehehehehehehe

I love days like that.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 04:21 pm
Thomas--

A staple, by definition, is something you always have in the house--no chance for waste there.

I also indulge myself with luxury items: imported cheese, smoked oysters, the very expensive, but beloved, dog biscuits.

Last year a woman behind me in the checkout line turned to her husband (retired couples tend to shop together) and hissed, "I told you we'd have made out better taking the discount."
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 02:27 pm
On Tuesday I bought $328.32 worth of groceries for $227.57.

I'm definitely in the running for the Hunter & Gatherer Blue Ribbon.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 02:43 pm
That is so cool!

I wish my grocery did that.

They always do the free turkey thing and there is no way we're going to eat a whole big turkey. Luckily they also have a "donate your turkey" bin that they give to the shelter.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 08:13 am
You could always have a party with a whole turkey, Boomerang. <wee hoo> What's TCOICBINB?

I don't think the stores around here have 'free turkey' day... at least I haven't noticed it. I won a turkey a few years ago and donated it to the local food shelter. Their volunteers are at the grocery stores on Fridays and Saturdays collecting food. They hand each shopper a list of most needed items and stand by a cart at the door so you can drop it off.

ehBeth -- a menace to your store? Flustering the markdown guy? I'll bet they love you. You bring excitement to their day.

Hamburger -- my favorite store had a similar sale and I now have 20 cans of beans in my pantry.

Noddy... Faithful Shopper, huh. I am so impressed; you saved over $100!!! Did you have a favorite purchase? (Raspberries out of season? Stilton cheese?) $328 worth of food must have filled up at least three shopping carts.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 12:10 pm
Piffka--

Once upon a time, a $300 grocery order would have filled three carts. This week my provender filled one cart--and that was with the a Bounty 12-pack of paper towels--on sale with a coupon.

Remember, smoked oysters and imported cheese are compact items.

I'm not sure why eastern PA supermarkets seem to be more prone to Customer Wooing specials than supermarkets in the rest of the country. After all, everyone buys groceries.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 04:51 pm
Piffka wrote:
What's TCOICBINB?

It's The Church of I Can't Believe it's Not Butter
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 05:50 pm
The major pharmacy chain here has a lovely points plan.
Earlier this week, I cashed in enough points to get $75 off my $122 order.
I was mighty pleased - and I've got enough points to get me going toward my next $75!!!

<oh yeah - that day's purchases credited the card with the usual quota of points - win win, baby>

I've got my flyers ready for this weekend's excursion.

I do love the scent of a bargain.

<I think I actually just started to salivate at the thought of coupons on top of a sale>
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 08:18 pm
boomerang wrote:
Piffka wrote:
What's TCOICBINB?

It's The Church of I Can't Believe it's Not Butter

Ah-ha, thanks....closely related to the Church of Holy Dirt, I suspect.

Beth... you are a wild woman. Glad you are making so much money on your purchases.

I shopped yesterday with a friend who also loves a bargain and now shops for a living. She says it is her dream job. (She shops for a non-profit place that offers free R&R for cancer patients.)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 08:25 pm
It sounds like your friend has my dream job, piffka.

I was just telling a friend that I hope to be able to retire sooner rather than later - and then work part-time in the non-profit sector.

<sigh>
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 08:26 pm
Does she work with the CCA Piffka?

(I know they serve parts of Washington but, to be honest, I have no idea where Bombay might be!)
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 11:44 am
CCA? Children's Cancer Association? No, she works for Harmony Hill. I think they serve children in a family setting, but their clientele are mostly adults.
Quote:
HOOD CANAL, Wash. - For cancer patients, the first focus is on treatment. But one local nurse practitioner thought there needed to be something more. Her vision: a free cancer retreat center on Hood Canal where patients could come to heal emotionally and spiritually.

Beth -- didn't you start out in non-profits? I think there is a huge amount of satisfaction in that field but we need money-making businesses, too. Otherwise, where'd the donations come from?

Boomer -- Bombay is rarely found on maps; it is in the southern part of Puget Sound, directly west of Gig Harbor. Here's a photo of a painting of Bombay.:
http://kurtsolmssen.com/images/2003bay.jpg
0 Replies