Blogging the New Technology and Journalism

cobalt

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2003 06:58 pm
This link is to an article by Dan Gillmor, a well-known Internet guru and blogger. He's writing a book called "Making the News", with the focus on technology and journalism.

In true blogger fashion, he breaks new ground by blogging his way along as he writes the book, to be published by O'Reilly. He's asking for comments every step of the way, with outline published and sample chapters set forth. In one part he particularly wants to get as much comment as possible. Here is the link and then I will quote some excerpts of particular interest

Making the News, Dan Gillmor permalink

Quote:
communications tools are turning traditional notions of news and journalism in new directions. These tools give us the ability to take advantage, in the best sense of the word, of the fact that our collective knowledge and wisdom greatly exceeds any one person's grasp of almost any subject. We can, and must, use that reality to our mutual advantage.

For those interested, I'll be happy to guide this thread through some key concepts or items of particular note. In the meantime, if you've got some time, check this link and author out!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,753 • Replies: 10
No top replies

husker

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2003 06:59 pm
bookmark
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2003 08:59 pm
Interesting concept, cobalt.
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2003 09:11 pm
Husker and Ms O - did either of you get a chance to read the article in Dan's blog, Silicon Valley?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2003 09:14 pm
Not very thoroughly, cobalt. I've saved the link for lnger read later. I really like the idea, though.
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2003 05:26 pm
I will let you and Husker know if my input is selected for inclusion in Dan's book. I sent along a page about the use of technology, journalism and the education in public schools at the elementary level. There is where children are uniformly introduced to journalism in the form of Scholastic News, the Weekly Reader and such. This is also where there are usually computers in each classroom or at least available in a school computer lab. Now, as to whether or not the computers are USED is another story, lol!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 12:33 am
You contributed, Cobalt?
Good for you!
Yes, let us know if you're published ... Pretty exciting stuff, yes?
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 01:09 am
MS O - a part of my post:

Quote:
I am going to follow along with Gillmor's progress and attempt to have some input. One of my interests is the way that technology and access to "news" is creating a deeper deeper deeper rift or chasm between classes of people, certainly along the lines of money first, but secondly along the lines of educated / uneducated. Empowering people and citizens of governments means that access to the technology and education to use it is imperative. Yet so very much begins on the "front end" of education: the access and education for preschoolers and primary grade students.

As a teacher I see more and more the differences between children entering public school who have computers at home and those that do not. The education as preparation for formal schooling primarily comes from the parents and close family members. It these folks are not empowered as I speak of, then their children are most disadvantaged and I wonder that they could "catch up"...

In short, I'd like to see Dan Gillmor's book include a chapter on education's use of technology and journalism. In the US, "The Weekly Reader" has been a staple of a majority of public schools for years and years. To many children, that is their first contact to journalism that they study. If one looks at the proliferation of online sites and published magazines that now cater to very very young children, it is evident that the more informed parents are seeing the benefit of having these resources for their preschoolers and young kindergartners. My own brother is proud that he has had my niece using her own computer for a couple years now - she is almost 6. He's also proud that she is "not going to learn keyboarding because she will have state-of-the-art voice hardware/software to make it easy!

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 01:24 am
Cobalt

Good point! Couldn't agree more.
But often (as a teacher, too) I see students with computers at home who need "educating" on to learn to use them for access to learning. Often this is a cultural/language/literacy thing.
The challenge: how to make this powerful (internet) tool accessible & usable for these students in their education.
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2003 09:32 am
A late note here - I think it's frightening how many children cannot spell, how poor grammar, and cannot put letters in alphabetical order because of the primary use of computers at an early age.

I have young cousins that are very bright, but only understand the alphabet as it appears on a keyboard. I also noted the mention of voice recognition software. How scary that children will no longer be able to write anything at all because they only create documents by speaking commands.
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2003 11:28 pm
I don't agree that the downturn in student language skills has to do with the computer. I feel it is a societal and cultural issue where people are generally becomming more passive and consuming in response to their environment and choices.

This month I have been employed as a test scorer for mandatory standardized test in another state. I was trained for and work with grading essays for first graders through third graders. So, after looking at literally thousands of stories, personal narratives, retellings of stories, invitations and thank you letters I have again confirmed what I have seen over the last 10 to 15 years or so: American students in public schools are woefully inadequate to progress at a reasonable rate through the school system and be a reasonably educated high school graduate.

To me, it is a combination of "dumbing down" the expectations for students, lazy teachers and lazy parents, a casualty of high family instability or changes in the home, the consumerism culture promoted by TV, and significant changes in values! The use of the computer with young children and students I see as primarily positive. Teaching young people to think is harder and harder. If one is of the Bush administration sort, why you believe education is to teach a particular set of moral values and "good citizenship".

I've seen the use of computers to dramatically improve learning for children and to inspire motivation to learn to read and to have practice in logic tasks, perceptual tasks, coordination, and even some improvements in deductive strategies.

Look to see how the parents and family with young children themselves use a computer. Much would be instructive from that peek into a home life that may carry over to the schoolhouse.
0 Replies