What is a 'veteran'?

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 10:24 pm
On this Veterans' Day, a stray thought has been nagging at the back of my mind. What do you mean, when you say the word 'veteran'?

I remember that it used to be a veteran was someone who had served in the armed forces overseas during a time of national emergency, e.g. a war that we were involved in. You had your Vietnam vets and Korean vets and World War II vets and so on. Then it somehow came to mean anyone who had served overseas, even if it was only during the so-called 'cold war.' Then, after the draft was abolished, anyone who had ever worn a military uniform started calling him/herself a veteran.

Now, I wore the uniform of the United States Army for eight years as a member of the Army National Guard, four of those years as a commissioned officer. I would never dream of describing myself as a veteran. I did a lot of active duty time, but it was all for training purposes. I was never in an overseas assignment where my life would have been in imminent danger. So what's up with all these wannabes calling themselves 'veterans'? How come nobody calls them on it?

Your thoughts, please. What does 'veteran' mean to you?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 585 • Replies: 15
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 10:30 pm
Quote:
What is a Veteran?

Some veterans bear visible signs of their service: a missing limb, a jagged scar, a certain look in the eye.

Others may carry the evidence inside them: a pin holding a bone together, a piece of shrapnel in the leg - or perhaps another sort of inner steel: the soul's ally forged in the refinery of adversity.

Except in parades, however, the men and women who have kept America safe wear no badge or emblem.

You can't tell a vet just by looking.

He is the cop on the beat who spent six months in Saudi Arabia sweating two gallons a day making sure the armored personnel carriers didn't run out of fuel.

He is the barroom loudmouth, dumber than five wooden planks, whose overgrown frat-boy behavior is outweighed a hundred times in the cosmic scales by four hours of exquisite bravery near the 38th parallel.

She - or he - is the nurse who fought against futility and went to sleep sobbing every night for two solid years in Da Nang.

He is the POW who went away one person and came back another - or didn't come back AT ALL.

He is the Quantico drill instructor who has never seen combat - but has saved countless lives by turning slouchy, no-account rednecks and gang members into Marines, and teaching them to watch each other's backs.

He is the parade - riding Legionnaire who pins on his ribbons and medals with a prosthetic hand.

He is the career quartermaster who watches the ribbons and medals pass him by.

He is the three anonymous heroes in The Tomb Of The Unknowns, whose presence at the Arlington National Cemetery must forever preserve the memory of all the anonymous heroes whose valor dies
unrecognized with them on the battlefield or in the ocean's sunless deep.

He is the old guy bagging groceries at the supermarket - palsied now and aggravatingly slow - who helped liberate a Nazi death camp and who wishes all day long that his wife were still alive to hold him when the nightmares come.

He is an ordinary and yet an extraordinary human being - a person who offered some of his life's most vital years in the service of his country, and who sacrificed his ambitions so others would not have to sacrifice theirs.

He is a soldier and a savior and a sword against the darkness, and he is nothing more than the finest, greatest testimony on behalf of the finest, greatest nation ever known.

So remember, each time you see someone who has served our country, just lean over and say Thank You. That's all most people need, and in most cases it will mean more than any medals they could have been awarded or were awarded.

Two little words that mean a lot, "THANK YOU".

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, Who has given us freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, Who has given us freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, Who has given us the
freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier, Who salutes the flag, Who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protestor to burn the flag."

Father Denis Edward O'Brien/USMC
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 10:34 pm
Thanks, Timber. My thoughts, exactly.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 10:39 pm
I agree with you Merry Andrew. Up here in Ontario, they have special "Veteran" licence plates that are issued to the vets. Thing is, anybody that has been in the military for a specific period of time is qualified. I feel that those who put their lives on the line in defence of freedom are the true vets and should receive the special honour.

With tomorrow being Remembrance Day, my thoughts will be with those who died in the pursuit of freedom as well as those who survived and came home. Here, we generally think of those who fought in the 2 great wars as our vets. We lose a large number of these heroes every year. They are mostly in their 80's and 90's.

Many are now talking about their experiences where they were quiet about it for so many years. I have had many conversations with my father in-law who spent 5 years fighting in europe. It is as though they know that they will all be gone before long and they want the rest of us to realize what it was really like.

Most children today do not know why we have Remembrance Day and what these men actually did for the free world. We should never forget the horrors of war. We should never forget those who died for our freedoms. We should never forget what war is all about. A two minute silence at 11:00 AM on November 11th seems such a small tribute. Take a moment to walk up to a veteran and say.... Thank You
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 12:25 am
i think of veterans as people who served in one of the big wars, not just any soldier but a combat soldier, now having said that what about peacekeeping duties, are reg force or reservists who have spent time in bosnia, cyprus, haiti etc. considered veterans
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 05:21 am
O it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, go away";
But it's ``Thank you, Mister Atkins,'' when the band begins to play,
The band begins to play, my boys, the band begins to play,
O it's ``Thank you, Mr. Atkins,'' when the band begins to play.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 05:38 am
When i was a boy, during the Fourth of July parades, the Great War veterans formed the color guard--the Second World War veterans were allowed to march behind them, but they were the ones who carried the flag. The Spanish War veterans (fewer every year, until at last there was only one wizened old man) were carried along behind in the back of a convertible. The Korean War veterans might wear an American Legion hat, or a VFW jacket, but they stood on the side. Thing was, in those days, there were few if any veterans who had not served overseas--and in a small town, every one knew who they were.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 07:00 am
djjd62 wrote:
i think of veterans as people who served in one of the big wars, not just any soldier but a combat soldier, now having said that what about peacekeeping duties, are reg force or reservists who have spent time in bosnia, cyprus, haiti etc. considered veterans

IMO, peacekeepers such as you describe are veterans. The test is whether they served overseas on behalf of their country in a time of emergency, not whether there was a declared war. If they drew combat pay, they're veterans.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 07:31 am
I think that anyone who has served in the military are "veterans". There are people who have never seen combat, never left the U.S. shores. What they did was give up a few years of their lives, so that that the country had the ability to call upon them if they were needed.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 07:32 am
Those people fix sick puppies and kittens. Right?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 07:35 am
What many people do not realize, is that even military training can be life threatening. There are many people who were injured, or lost their lives, during training missions. Just being in the military is putting your ass on the line.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 07:39 am
I think the definition Phoenix gives is correct. One reason is that a veteran receives certain benefits for serving in the military whether they were involved in combat or were stationed overseas. If you were to limit it, then these other veterans would not receive any of their VA benefits.

Perhaps a better way of noticing those that served in a particular war would be to call them Korean Veterans or World War II Veterans, etc. That way you still recognize the additional service that a veteran gave in combat without limiting benefits for the others.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 08:23 am
I dunno. While there were always "veterans" that marched in parades and such I have no idea how many of them actually served overseas in a combat area. There was probably a higher percentage of WWI and WWII vets that did by nature of the size of the wars but I would never have been able to pick them out. One of my grandfather's was a WWI Veteran but he never left the military hospital in Minnesota during the war.

Even amongst all those that served there is a distinction between being a "combat vet" and not.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 08:27 am
fishin wrote:
Even amongst all those that served there is a distinction between being a "combat vet" and not.

I think that you are right on target. IMO, all people who have served in the military are "veterans". Those who were exposed to a war, are "combat veterans".
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 08:31 am
My mother landed at Normany on D+16, waded ashore, and the following day the gale in the channel came up and wrecked the floating docks, which meant that her hospital had to operate for a month and a half with what they had brought ashore, and what they could scrounge up. They treated the American wounded, and the Canadian wounded and the German teenagers wounded in the tremendously vicious fights they had with the Canadians. They shared their canned meat with the Normans who hadn't been able to eat meat for years, and in return were given fresh bread by the Normans who had hidden their grain from the Germans for years.

She never fired a shot in anger. She never heard a shot fired in anger. Do the self-righteous here consider her a veteran?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 09:05 am
This may be a bit off topic but Newsweek had a wonderful essay about veterans:

Quote:
Old soldiers have always led America. They've shown us how to love our country, revere our military and honor our war dead. More softly, they've warned of the dangers of wishing for war. "It is well that war is so terrible," said Robert E. Lee, or else "we should grow too fond of it," and soldiers have echoed him from Antietam to Iraq. Now, as we celebrate another Veterans Day, we welcome home a new generation of soldiers. If history is a guide, only a few of these new veterans will join antiwar movements; most will proudly support their country in any future entanglements it may face. But many of those returning from Afghanistan and Iraq will doubtless join a tradition of brave veterans who quietly hate war. They can teach us why war is never romantic, but may sometimes be worth fighting all the same.

You can read the whole essay here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9936979/site/newsweek/

Personally, I think that all who served are veterans.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » What is a 'veteran'?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/05/2024 at 10:47:10