What are toe-nails for?

Heeven

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 01:20 pm
I 'get' what fingernails are useful for - scratching, peeling things, etc., but why do we have toe-nails at all? They are not useful in any way. They serve no real function and I just don't see why they are sitting on the end of my toes.

Of course I don't like feet in general. I think they are ugly but I particularly find toe-nails disgusting. I hate having to clip mine and file them down so they don't shred my bedding.

Can anyone elighten me? Oh and don't tell me they are good for polishing and look pretty coz that's what I do to cover up those ugly suckers and it's a pain in the buttocks trying to paint that little toe!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,978 • Replies: 41
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 08:58 pm
The Intelligent Designer wanted you to have toenails because..... ummmm..... because...... errrrrr..... because....... because........ it is a good sign that you need to go to yoga when you can no longer nibble on your toenails and the Designer wants you to maintain your flexibility?

Evolution has maintained our toeanils because.... because...... the bedding industry is surviving because it is the fittest?

I refuse to glorify my toenails with polish. That might attract attention to my ghastly feet.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 09:16 pm
Well, wouldn't you just feel silly, putting on toe polish?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 09:35 pm
I guess you've never lost a toenail, Heeven. If you had, you'd know...... <nodding>
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 09:37 pm
LOL!
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 09:42 pm
Re: What are toe-nails for?
Heeven wrote:
I 'get' what fingernails are useful for - scratching, peeling things, etc., but why do we have toe-nails at all? They are not useful in any way. They serve no real function and I just don't see why they are sitting on the end of my toes.

Of course I don't like feet in general. I think they are ugly but I particularly find toe-nails disgusting. I hate having to clip mine and file them down so they don't shred my bedding.

Can anyone elighten me? Oh and don't tell me they are good for polishing and look pretty coz that's what I do to cover up those ugly suckers and it's a pain in the buttocks trying to paint that little toe!

Well *giggles* Maybe it's something we have left from cavemen days. lol Like, when they had to climb trees and rocky cliffs, I can see how toe nails would come in handy to climb and grip. lol Right, yes, no. *giggles*
0 Replies

CrazyDiamond

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 10:09 pm
Toe-nails are for providing thought and discussion on the use of toe-nails.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 10:10 pm
Maybe it's because we have denser nerve connections in the finger and toe tips, making them more sensetive from all sides, and making it more necessary to have some kind of a protective covering on the top side since that side doesn't callous
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 10:16 pm
Thus begging for a question about why we have dens nerve connections on the top of the toes.
0 Replies

CrazyDiamond

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 10:25 pm
And why we have toes at all...or legs for that matter...
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 10:37 pm
CrazyDiamond wrote:
And why we have toes at all...or legs for that matter...

Probably because God had a bunch of leftover toenails after making the hairless green martians.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 11:38 pm
Toenails probably protect the inner sole.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 08:50 am
littlek wrote:
I guess you've never lost a toenail, Heeven. If you had, you'd know...... <nodding>

Thank you littlek, I almost vomited up my breakfast. I feel dizzy and faint. I am going to have to lie down for a spell.

That is probably the grosses thing to do with nails. My kid sister (when she was a kid) lost all the fingernails on one hand and I am gagging just thinking about it.

You mean I have to lose a toenail to know what the point of it is? Pain? Torture?
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 08:52 am
Re: What are toe-nails for?
AngeliqueEast wrote:
Well *giggles* Maybe it's something we have left from cavemen days. lol Like, when they had to climb trees and rocky cliffs, I can see how toe nails would come in handy to climb and grip. lol Right, yes, no. *giggles*

I feel pain just thinking about using toenails to "grip" onto trees/rocks/whatever.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 08:55 am
roger wrote:
Thus begging for a question about why we have dens nerve connections on the top of the toes.

Dipping toe into water before swimming so you'll know if you're going to die of shock?
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 08:58 am
ossobuco wrote:
Toenails probably protect the inner sole.

<<Clap Clap Clap>>
Damn you're good!
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 08:58 am
Heeven wrote:
roger wrote:

Dipping toe into water before swimming so you'll know if you're going to die of shock?

Well they were pretty sturdy humans way back then. Smile
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 09:00 am
Yep sturdy because they had to be. We have gotten soft and tubby (generally) in comparison. However they died a lot younger back then than we do now. I'm not sure the human body was meant to last 80-90 years.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 09:10 am
i'd say to offer the end of your foot some support. so that you don't have snails for toes and don't have to waddle around. no? ok, but it's as good a guess as any.

also handy when you drop a hammer on your foot. I bet it would hurt a lot more if we were toe-nail-less. and would you like blisters on TOP of your toes from shoes? no no no. i'm sticking to my toe-nails. in fact, i will pamper them tonight.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 09:20 am
But if we had skin all around the toe wouldn't that be better? No toenail fungus-type infections to deal with. No losing of toenails (littlek). No ingrown nails. The toes could still work/wiggle/balance but no toenail to worry about.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » What are toe-nails for?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/28/2024 at 06:47:48