The allure of Rap

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 10:20 am
If this has already been addressed, my apologies.

Some quick factoids.

I'm white. I'm 29. I'm married. I live in a large city.

The question:

I have never been able to understand the draw of Rap music. At least not the more contemporary forms of it. I understand that Rap represents life in the projects, ghettos, hoods, what have you. . . but what does the style in which these lyrics are presented represent?

I have a difficult time associating what I hear from rappers like 50 Cent, Ludicris, and others like them, with music. I know it can be difficult to rhyme words, and there are a few lyric structures that I find fascinating in that they contain both a rythmic quality and are sensible when strung together. On the whole, however, I can't seem to find a way to appreciate the genre for what it is.

Can anyone possibly explain the draw to this form of music?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 879 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 10:33 am
I think that the lure for young people is the forbidden nature of rap. It's "so bad" and parents hate it. I think it gives them something to rebell with that is generally safe. Most kids that listen to rap will not go out and gang bang or shoot up a 7-11. It's they way of saying "I am in control of what I like and what I do". Important to a young person.

I also think that young people are struggling to find things and people they can relate to and associate with. Rap and punk are just two very different forms of music that carry a "lifestyle" with it. Rap is the baggy pants, the unkept look, the "F*ck the world" mentality. Punk is the goth look, the rage against the man mentality, the hard rockin' bad boy. Music is one way for them to test out who they are.

And then I think some people just like the rhythm and beat. Personally, I don't. Bass gives me a headache.
0 Replies

TheIntro

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 04:02 pm
Rap at its highest is advance poetry to anybodys ears who takes the time to understabd, rap at its lowest is something for teeny bopers to shake they ass to
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 04:23 pm
You don't like it, so why not leave it at that? Why analyze why you're not drawn to a certain type of music???

Bella, not all rap is about that image, either.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 04:25 pm
My point is that music is a definition for many kids and if they feel like they can relate to it, they do. Kids need something to help them develop who they are and music can be a huge part of that.

Punk isn't always like that either. They were just examples.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 04:26 pm
Definitely, you're right about that.

A lot of rappers grew up in the hood, and their lyrics are about that, which other people can relate to.

And then you have me, white boy bumping my sh!t in my ride wearing a suit and tie.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 04:27 pm
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:

And then you have me, white boy bumping my sh!t in my ride wearing a suit and tie.

It's a fantasy. You want to be the gang bangin' bad boy. Admit it.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 05:04 pm
If you ain't ever been to the ghetto, don't ever come to the ghetto. Cuz you wouldn't understand the ghetto. So stay the **** out of the ghetto.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 05:10 pm
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
You don't like it, so why not leave it at that? Why analyze why you're not drawn to a certain type of music???

Bella, not all rap is about that image, either.

It's not so much that I don't like it. I rather enjoy some of it. I'm trying to gain a greater appreciation for it since it's seemingly everywhere these days. I enjoy all types of music, and have even (through understanding of what it's about) been able to find an appreciation for some country.

And why shouldn't I attempt to understand it? If it's becomming so wide-spread, why would I prefer to just 'leave it at that?'.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 06:00 pm
You said you can't appreciate the genre.

Now you're saying you enjoy some of it...

So which is it?

I got the impression you were trying to figure out why rap was popular.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 02:17 pm
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
You said you can't appreciate the genre.

Now you're saying you enjoy some of it...

So which is it?

I got the impression you were trying to figure out why rap was popular.

I said I can't appreciate the genre for what it is, which is a high-selling, very popular musical genre. I do enjoy some of the songs I've heard, mostly the ones where the word flow is more melodic.

But yes, I was hoping to get some sense of what draws people to it.

Instead of useful information, I seem to be getting cliches and admonishments.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 03:20 pm
What draws people to ANY type of music? I think it's pretty self-explanatory.

Do you like Folk? Gospel? Music from India? There's tons of music I don't like, but millions others do. I don't sit here and scratch my head thinking "I wonder why others like it, but I don't?"

The style, rythyms, image, messages, ect...some people connect with certain types of music, some don't.

You pointed out you like "some." Well, some people get into it a lot more. When I first heard Techno/House music, I hated it. I spent some time listening to it more and more, and then really liked it. Maybe you'll end up doing the same with rap/hip-hop.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 04:39 pm
Little known fact - the biggest buyers of rap (especially the harder edged stuff) are young white men.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 07:17 pm
When you strip away all the image and commercial reasons; I think it ain't no big thang.
Rap is popular IMO bc it was fed to people at the right time.
It is like any other music.
0 Replies