coke, t.v., slinky and General Eisenhower

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 01:00 pm
It was 1954 and my family was in New York City, home to the US of A for a vacation from our home in Saudi Arabia. We were staying in a hotel not far from Radio City where I would go for the matinee feature. On the way to Radio City was a drug store/soda fountain where I had my first carbonated coke and I bought a slinky. Staying at the same hotel (on the floor just above us) was General Eisenhower. I thought the general would like to see my new slinky so I went up the back stairway to the next floor. The general wasn't in but Mamie was so I showed her my slinky. I'm pretty sure she was impressed. I went back downstairs to our room and turned on the t.v. which I had never seen before, it was boring, I turned it off.
slinky;
http://tincanit.com/images/slinky.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,153 • Replies: 29
No top replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 01:10 pm
That is cool, d. I never had a Slinky; felt kinda deprived...
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 01:20 pm
Re: coke, t.v., slinky and General Eisenhower
dyslexia wrote:
It was 1954 and my family was in New York City, home to the US of A for a vacation from our home in Saudi Arabia. We were staying in a hotel not far from Radio City where I would go for the matinee feature. On the way to Radio City was a drug store/soda fountain where I had my first carbonated coke and I bought a slinky. Staying at the same hotel (on the floor just above us) was General Eisenhower. I thought the general would like to see my new slinky so I went up the back stairway to the next floor. The general wasn't in but Mamie was so I showed her my slinky. I'm pretty sure she was impressed. I went back downstairs to our room and turned on the t.v. which I had never seen before, it was boring, I turned it off.
slinky;
http://tincanit.com/images/slinky.jpg

Really? Wow.

slinky is cool.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 01:25 pm
I remember the first slinky i ever saw--one of my uncles brought it over. We put it on the top step of the staircase, and watched it "walk" downstairs. Fascinatin' . . . we did it again and again until it drove my grandmother to distraction, and she took it away. Fascinatin' . . .
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 01:27 pm
http://www.interfirst.com/images/slinky_animated02.gif
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 02:10 pm
If you misplace your slinky in the backyard in the late Fall, you'll find it in the Spring all streched out and rusty. really cool.....

The same Fall my older sister threw a painted turtle out the window into the backyard, because she didn't want me keeping it in the bathroom any longer.

I found it in the Spring also, still alive, so I fed it some raw hamburger.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 02:26 pm
They are plastic, small (ie much less length) and rainbow coloured now.

Pshaw!
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 02:32 pm
Plastic slinkies can't possibly be as frisky as metal ones, can they?

Pshaw, indeed!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 02:39 pm
well yeah and Dwight has passed over onto the land of the original slinky, unfortunately we still have T.V. (Radio City Music Hall is under question at the moment.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 02:47 pm
dlowan enjoying her original slinky

http://www.rabbit.org/graphics/fun/netbunnies/slinky-Smudge1.jpg
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 03:33 pm
I never HAD a slinky!
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 03:41 pm
well you obviously have a doppelganger

and they have a slinky
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 03:58 pm
(must be a doozy -- work firewall won't let it thru...)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 04:02 pm
We were too poor to affors slinkys. We did however have the smallest cheapest tinker toy set, with one or two round pieces and four sticks.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 04:22 pm
Region Philbis wrote:
(must be a doozy -- work firewall won't let it thru...)

lol, the properties for the image does contain the phrase netbunnies, i suppose that could be the problem, but it's totally innocent
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 04:25 pm
i always wanted a mechano set, but no luck
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 04:30 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
We were too poor to affors slinkys. We did however have the smallest cheapest tinker toy set, with one or two round pieces and four sticks.

The husband sez he and his brothers and sisters would take the metal coffee can lids and bend them to make arrow heads, and play cowboys and indians.

Kids today......they'd never be able to keep quiet about that. Someone would tell an adult and then they'd have to stop and everything.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 05:30 pm
Mostly I had quaker oats boxes for toys, the round ones, I also had my fathers cigar boxes. As I said above, I once got a slinky.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 06:15 pm
One of my earliest Christmas gifts was a train. It was made from a two by four, sanded smooth, painted, with several rows of washers for wheels.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 06:47 pm
I can just picture sweet little Dys sitting there with Mamie. And your name has been on the Secret Service list ever since.

Slinkys are made of plastic now?? NO! How can a Slinky be a Slinky if it's plastic?

I loved my Slinky and so did my cat.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » coke, t.v., slinky and General Eisenhower
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/08/2024 at 08:21:17