Mayor: Sever Thumbs of Graffiti Artists

Reyn

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 01:54 am
Anybody here live in Las Vegas?

Don't be trying any of those graffiti stunts, hey? You're gonna need that thumb for the space bar.

Mayor: Sever Thumbs of Graffiti Artists
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 657 • Replies: 17
No top replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 02:52 am
Quote:
Goodman also suggested that whippings or canings should be brought back for children who get into trouble.

"I also believe in a little bit of corporal punishment going back to the days of yore, where examples have to be shown," Goodman said.

"I'm dead serious," said Goodman, adding, "Some of these (children) don't learn. You have got to teach them a lesson, and this is coming from a criminal defense lawyer."

For one, they wouldn't be able to stuff quarters into slot machines...

No. 2... 'the days of yore' type-punishments would be against the Constitution, specifically the 8th Amendment:

Quote:
'No one shall be subjected to torture or to cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment'
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 02:57 am
That is just awful! A man of the dark ages.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 07:47 am
I think there should be a law allowing us to cut the hatracks off of mayors.
0 Replies

rodeman

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 11:12 am
Is Oscar off his meds again.........?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 11:18 am
I'm planning to spray-paint the side of his house tonight.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 11:19 am
Better wear iron gloves!
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 11:39 am
[size=7]*giggles*[/size]
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 07:49 pm
Should have sellers (stores) of markers be made to mark up their sales for the cost of removal of graffiti.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 09:52 pm
talk72000 wrote:
Should have sellers (stores) of markers be made to mark up their sales for the cost of removal of graffiti.

Oh, sure. And gun manufacturers should be held accountable for all crimes committed with a firearm.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 01:08 am
The movie and music industry is doing it. CDs and DVDs sales are increased in price by a few cents for all copying done of music and even movies.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 04:00 am
Entirely different kettle of fish. The movie and music industry is doing what retailers customarily do to offset shoplifting losses. But, if I understand you correctly, you're suggesting that the paint and marker industry somehow take responsibility for the fact that their products are used in an illegal way. My point is that they are not responsibe for irresponsible behavior on the part of their customers, the vandals.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 10:10 pm
I remember the New York subway trains with all those awful graffiti. The graffiti is property damage. It is extremely diificult to catch the culprit creating the graffiti and charge him/her. It has to be a case of catching the culprit in the act to even charge and convict. I would like to hear from you when someone puts graffiti on the walls of your house, business or car.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 07:23 am
I hired a graffitist to paint a wall in my photo studio.

It is really quite nice.

It certainly is hard to find one to hire though as they typically prefer not to be known.

I think some graffiti is beautiful and that the artists are very talented. It's the people who just scribble that I can't stand.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 06:52 pm
I am artistic myself (not commercial but won prizes in drawing and painting as a kid) and appreciate good art. But graffiti that are acts to vent anger needs jail time.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 07:34 pm
talk72000 wrote:
I am artistic myself (not commercial but won prizes in drawing and painting as a kid) and appreciate good art. But graffiti that are acts to vent anger needs jail time.

Nobody on this thread has argued against jail time, talk. But don't you think that amputation of a manual digit is somehat extreme? And that your notion of somehow shifting the cleanup responsibility to the paint manufacturers is somewhat unfair?
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 12:35 am
The point is to end vandalism and thumb amputation is extreme. I think he was exaggerating to get attention and also as a warning. GWB used this technique by going to the extreme in the opposite direction so everyone was willing to compromise in the middle ground which he wanted all along. Effective technique in a debate.
0 Replies

bv40

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 06:46 pm
One *convicted* painter, spreading the word, and unable to hitchhike to boot..... would undoubtedly bring the problem rapidly under control Shocked Laughing
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Mayor: Sever Thumbs of Graffiti Artists
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 05:54:43