• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 200 • Replies: 5
No top replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 07:00 pm
piracy
there is plenty of...PIRACY...particularly in the indian ocean. usually cargoships present a juicier target than passenger ships, but one of the smaller "intimate" cruiseships would be an inviting target. hbg
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 07:09 pm
Wow, good info Mr. Hamburger. I had no idea it was that big of a problem!
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 07:26 pm
commercial piracy has been around for a long time. it is not unusual "to buy off" pirates; it's sort of like paying "protection money".
on the other hand, sometimes pirates were paid to sink an old rust-buchet of a ship to be able to collect on the insurance money(i don't know if this is still happening right now, but it sure wouldn't surprise me).
hbg

ps. i used to work for the port authority in hamburg/germany, so i was somewhat familiar with the subject. since i now live on lake ontario, i don't hear much about piracy around here, but there is plenty of smuggling going on along the st. lawrence river.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 07:40 pm
hamburger wrote:
since i now live on lake ontario, i don't hear much about piracy around here, but there is plenty of smuggling going on along the st. lawrence river.

Is cigarette smuggling as big as it's ever been, or tapering off a bit?
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 07:43 pm
piracy
reyn : if you are interested, here is an article dealing with...CROSSBORDER SMUGGLING.... along the st. lawrence river. even "legitimate" corporations (tobacco companies) have engaged in smuggling (using the services of the mohawks). and it's still going on; every once in a while there is an article in the local paper about a trailer-truck with smuggled cigarettes being hauled in by the police. it seems that usually a hefty fine is being levied ... which is being paid as a "business expense". the police simply does not seem to have the resources to stop it. hbg
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » A story of piracy in 2005
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 08:18:39